Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
orchidnick

Choosing the right sized mount.

orchidnick
10 years ago

Pots are never a problem, a small plant gets a small pot, when it gets bigger it moves into a bigger pot. With mounts that's not possible, the mount you choose at the beginning stays even as the plant gets bigger. For some plants that's not a problem as they ramble and make a plant ball. Cattleyas are the perfect example. Other plants, on the other hand, look best when the size of the mount matches the plant. Dendrobium speciosum and Oncidium sphacellatum fall into the later category.

Around the turn of the century 2,000 or so, I saw a large Onc sphacellatum in full bloom and was impressed. Could not find a large one to buy and ended up with a blooming sized plant with 5 to 7 pbulbs. I knew what the plant is capable off and hit my son up for a mount. His daytime job is paediatrics but he is a frustrated lumberjack who loves his chainsaw more than life itself. He cut me a sizable Manzanita log with a fork and we put a stand on the bottom similar to what one does to Xmas trees.

I just dropped the plant into the fork did not even have to tie it up as the saddle was so big it rested comfortably there. The only way to describe it at that time was with ridicule. What's this little plant doing in this tree?

Here is a picture of the base of the log. The plant is 14 years older.

Nick

Comments (6)