Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deb_in_bama52

toklumnia jairak firm no35

debbie
10 years ago

hello everyone.
I'm new to orchids. I bought a toklumnia jairak a couple years ago, while in flower, and it has grown well but hasn't rebloomed. I read in the forums that light might not be bright enough, but it is in my bathroom next to a south facing glass block window that gets ample light. its in bark now, and gets watered about every other day (drains very well). any suggestions to encourage blooming? also, will this orchid grow on a slab? I am thinking of dividing it (if that's possible) as the pot it is in now seems pretty full. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I haven't been able to find much information on this orchid, in the forums or on the internet.
Debbie

Comments (7)

• arthurm
    10 years ago

Tolumnia are twig epiphytes and you must be on track because the plant is still alive after several years.

The essentials are free draining mix, underpotted (small pot) or grown on a mount.

I have 350/400 of the little beauties and peak flowering time here is late spring....The problem is I do not really know what is the trigger that initiates spike formation. Also your plant is probably a seedling (raised from seed) so there is no guarantee that it will be free blooming. Perhaps your plant has KOK35 attached to the name?

In any case I wouldn't be in a hurry to divide or repot or put it on a slab, because those actions might increase the time wait for a bloom.

Hopefully someone growing the little babies indoors will add to this.
    Apart from the free-draining bit they need light but not direct sunlight here at Latitude 33 South. Sunlight filtered by shade-cloth and dirty glass in summer. Cleaner glass in winter.

Gentle air movement is provided by a fan running 24/7.

Temps. Not sure what the optimum range is.

Here is a pic. of a small part of the collection.

As i said above you need advice from an indoors grower.

{{gwi:162925}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Tolumnia collection

This post was edited by arthurm on Fri, Apr 4, 14 at 5:24

• debbie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

wow!! you have a fantastic collection. As for my little tolumnia, I will take your advice and leave "as is" for now, and see what happens next year. it is growing new leaves, and has a TON of roots, and is fairly potbound now. leaves are dark green and healthy looking. I have a couple other orchids in the same place, and they all flower regularly, except the tolumnia. KOK35 isn't attached to the tag. tag says "toklumnia jairak firm no35", and other side of tag "oncidium dancing lady". Thanks for your information. I haven't found much on the internet about this little jewel.

• shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
    10 years ago

I read a clue. You said the leaves are dark green. That could mean that you need to give it more light. They should be a medium to light green. Good luck...

• debbie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks for your reply, Shavedmonkey. yes, its dark green. I will see if I can put it in better light. its on the edge of my bathtub with other orchids that bloom, and they get high light from a large glass block window (south exposure). I will see if I can hang the pot in the window, so that it will receive bright light all day. as it is, the orchids receive bright light only in the mornings. As the sun moves westward, the sunlight moves to the other end of the tub. there's good light in there all day though, but might not be enough for this little guy. i'll try that and see what happens. Thanks again for your input.
    Debbie

• shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
    10 years ago

In many cases the leaves are like a litmus test...If possible slowly give it more light over a few days. Acclimation...Good luck!

• arthurm
    10 years ago

Hi Debbie, Looks like there are no indoor growers of the little beauties.

So what are the couple of other orchids that flower in your conditions?

• debbie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

arthurm, I have a catt hybrid "yellow bird", a Phal (golden peoker x timothy Christopher) and an unnamed phal . All three bloom a couple times a year in my bathroom, where they get good light and humidity from the shower. they seem to like it there. i'll try to hang the tolumnia in the window so it will get more light. I enjoy the orchids, but they aren't my main pursuit as far as plants go.. I'm more into African violets, sinningias, and episcias. I would, however, like to see the dancing lady in flower. it was beautiful when I bought it a couple years ago. i'll get it into more light and wait and see what happens.
    Debbie