Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
save the plant whose flowers have died

Posted by muspic 5aOntario (My Page) on
Fri, May 27, 11 at 0:13

My aunt went away for a couple of weeks and her orchid has bitten the dust.
i have no idea what variety but probably came from a supermarket or similar.
The top 2 inches or so have yelloed
the rest of the stem is fine and firm
one of the leaves was mushy and i have cut it off
the other 4 leaves are healthy
It was of course dry

She is happy to throw it away but i said we may be able to save it.

Help
I really know nothing about orchids but want to try.

thanks

ps it will be coming to live with me now

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: save the plant whose flowers have died

You probably have a Phalaenopsis orchid. There is a set of notes put out by the Canadian Orchid Congress that are recommended by one of the regulars here.

Another source of Information is old Phalaenopsis Threads here. Just put Phalaenopsis in the search box at the top of this discussions page to find them.

Of course, i'm only guessing that you have a Phalaenopsis. You can find lots of orchid images on the net by searching for orchids and then selecting images.

hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Culture notes

o
RE: save the plant whose flowers have died

I would be willing to bet that the plant is fine with a bit (but not too much TLC) it will recover. The brown stem is natural and just part of the flowers ending, not a vital part of the plant. And leaves dying is ok also of it is the oldest leaf that dies.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here