Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Orchids without soil in my area?

Posted by scizzo 9 Tampa FL (My Page) on
Tue, May 13, 08 at 6:39

I was amazed to see orchids hanging in a local store with no dirt around them. (Don't remember what they were attached to).

Question: I know you can put orchids in trees, but can I somehow hang them in my screened in lanai without soil?

Everything I've read told me that they need a special planting medium.

Please email bmjabber2@tampabay.rr.com

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Orchids without soil in my area?

Hi
First I would start with some research. There are thousands of kinds of orchids with many different grow habits. Get a good general overview of the families . This will give you a good idea of what types you're interested in and how to grow them Obviously with so many different kinds there are many different grow methods.
Those that grow without soil are epiphytes . plants that
use other plants for support. These are probably the most spectacular of the orchids but certainly not the only ones.
Florida has around 80 percent of the necessary climate for a huge range of orchids . happy exploring lol gary

o
RE: Orchids without soil in my area?

30 years south of Gandy by McDill.....

Vanda's are commonly grown there in slatted wooden baskets
without any medium at all.

May not be enough light on your lanai and I think you have to water daily which can make a mess if you have floor covering.
I left several vandas, dens, phals with a friend and he keeps them in his tangerine tree not mounted but in hanging baskets.. Only go inside his shed when frost threatens. Haven't been back to check them out but he tells me they are still blooming.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here