Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dye-ing phalaenopsis

Posted by ashes_of_the_fire 6B (My Page) on
Wed, May 30, 12 at 8:37

no emergency here, just thought that i'd share a bit of recently acquired knowledge with anyone who's interested.

a while back, someone had posted that ordinary food dye could be injected into the flower stalks of a phalaenopsis to dye the flowers. I just tried this on my plant and it works!

It will take an awful lot of dye to get full colour saturation, and the stalk has track marks, but so far no flowers have fallen off, and no leaves or roots have died.

just thought you all might like to know that this doesn't appear to be harmful to the plant, this is it's 2nd week of having dye in its system.

ashes

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dye-ing phalaenopsis

I treasure my Phals for the exact coloring and markings they have naturally. Sometimes, mass production growers dye Phals for the big box stores. You're the first individual I recall who's colored a Phal. WhiteCat8

o

I think that dyeing tends to shorten the flower life of most things quite a bit. Plants that are sprayed with dye/pigment such as poinsettias definitely tend to abort the flowers/bracts much faster than ones that are not.

A regional chain of "superstores" here in the midwest was promoting their blue phals for Mothers Day. Quite a disgusting abomination IMHO, and most of them were pretty dead looking in the store already, whether it was the dye or just the fact that, like any big box, they abuse the plants, is hard to say.

o

That blue is really shockingly unnatural, isn't it?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here