Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
psykes21

Help! I think my orchid is dying!!!

psykes21
17 years ago

Here are the facts:

I received my phalaenopsis as a gift about a month ago. It had six healthy flowers and is planted in a smallish pot about 6 inches deep and 6 inches in diameter. It appears to be potted in some type of moss. I can't tell if it's all moss and no soil.

I have the plant facing a southern window but I'm afraid it's not getting enough light. I water my lil plant every Thursday with 8oz. water, as suggested by the woman my boyfriend bought the orchid from. The soil/moss (whatever it is) is always moist...I don't think it has ever been dry. Does this mean I am overwatering it? Should I skip a week and try to dry to soil/moss out?

In the past week, 5 of the 6 flowers have become translucent and fallen off and the leaves are more pliable than they were before. There is only one flower left but there is a new bud next to it.

Please help!!!

Comments (3)

• Sheila
    17 years ago

The loss of the blooms could simply be the end of it's blooming cycle. However the leaves being limp is not a good sign. The plant should be allowed to almost dry out before watering again. When the moss is tightly packed in the pot the plant roots can't get air. Is the plant potted in a clear pot, can you see green roots? Are there aerial roots? Does the moss look fresh, soft & spongy, light in color? You may simply be able to remove some of the moss using a tweezers if necessary to grab and pull some of the strands out. Then less water and perhaps your plant will be fine. Most important issue right now is establishing that it has good roots. Hope this helps.

Sheila :)

• terrysealey
    17 years ago

You are very specific about the amount of water you use. Do you allow this to pass through the pot and drain away (good) or is the plant standing in this water (bad). Phals do not need a lot of light so a south facing window may be too much particularly if it is getting a lot of sun. I am afraid I do not know enough about Chicago to help with that but here in the UK it would be too much now that the weather is warming up.
    Overwatering will be more of a problem than underwatering particularly if it is planted in moss. and if it really is in a 6 inch pot that is rather big for most phals I have had.
    Terry

• howard_a
    17 years ago

Phals do not need a lot of light, nevertheless, I feel that if the phal in question were getting adequate light 8oz of water would be gone in a few days and the o.p. would not observe that "The soil/moss (whatever it is) is always moist...I don't think it has ever been dry". So, yes, in this situation of constant damp the phal is being overwatereed. I have to wonder just how well the light of the South window is being captured. If you find yourself adjusting watering to save your plant IMO you will eventually lose it anyway, it will just take longer. And the other poster was right. At watering time as much water as necessary to completely flood the pot and run through the drainage holes should be used then do it again! Then let it sit (in the light) for a week (plastic pot) or 3/4 days (clay pot) before watering again.

H