Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crazy idea for planting and hanging orchid outside

Posted by love_the_yard z9A Jax FL (My Page) on
Sun, May 18, 14 at 10:39

I found a couple of these vine balls at the Goodwill store yesterday - 50 cents each. (Please see photos below.) A light bulb popped on in my head - maybe these would be good for planting a Moth Orchid (Phalaenopsis) to hang outside from a tree? They are about seven inches in diameter. My idea is to carefully spread the vines open, gently tuck a phal inside, and fill the ball with large pine bark chunks and some sphagnum around the plant. Should I put just the roots inside? Or some of the leaves? I'm thinking just the roots, right? Leaves on the outside?

I would hang it upside down, right? Isn't that how phals should be hung outside?

I was thinking of using some wire or a long S-hook. Easy enough to slide wire through a couple of vines on the ball.

Please give me your advice. Do you think this would work? Suggestions?

Thanks!
Carol

photo IMG_4251Large.jpg

photo IMG_4252Large.jpg

photo s-hook.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crazy idea for planting and hanging orchid outside

Plant it on the outside. Use some insulated copper wire to tie the plant on. If you plant it on the inside I think it will struggle. Make a string or wire small loop tied onto the outside of the ball, and thread your s wire end through the loop. Hang the ball before you mount the plant. That way you can decide where to place the plant on the ball.

A phal would work but there are many other choices.

Good luck.

o

Monkey, thanks for the help! I really do appreciate that - good ideas. My only choices are phals or terrestrial orchids. That is the extent of my "collection". Yeah, I know the Ts won't work. But I should hang the phal upside down, right?

Thanks again! I love this forum.

Carol in Jacksonville

o

great question. Hang it sideways. That is how they grow in nature. If they get water in the crown there is a chance the plant will die. It holds water and if it is there long enough it will rot and the center is the grow point. So in nature they've adapted to grow sideways. Maybe one on each side?

Besides wire, strips of pantie hose might be less damaging than wire...

Good luck

o

Tie the orchids to the outside of the ball with jute twine. You're going to need a knitting needle to slide the twine through the sides of the ball. The jute will last at the most 2 years outside, but by then the roots of the orchid will have wrapped around the fibers of the ball. You don't need or want to have ANYTHING inside. Orchids are air plants, at least the Phals are. Hang it in dappled sun where it will get rain or even better, some irrigation. And use clear, heavy fishing line that you won't see and that will last forever.

o

Tie it on with a shoelace or anything else. After a year the roots will have wound around it's mount and then you can remove what ever you used in the beginning. Then it will look natural. The criteria for the initial tie is that it should come off easy after a year. 4 lbs fishing line works real well for me and is almost invisible.

If you are into Phaelies and given that Phaelies go for the price of a burrito at the big box stores, I would buy 4 or 5 and mount them in a 360 degree circle on all sides of this ball. An orchid with a rambling rhizome like a cattleya would probably work better but it's all good.

Nick

o

You guys are wonderful! What great information! I am going to tie on the phal today. If I should happen to run into a cattleya, I will use it for the second grapevine ball.

Thanks so much, everyone. I really appreciate it!

Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here