Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stem of phal regrowing and accidentally broke

Posted by knj2 (My Page) on
Mon, May 17, 10 at 12:00

I have had my phal orchid for over a year now. I finally got a new spike to form and was looking forward to seeing new blooms. I was trying to place the stem along a wire form that was provided originally to help keep the orchid in form. As I was doing this, the part of the stem with the newly developing buds fell off. There is still about 12 inches of stem left and it appears that there are 2 "nodes" distal to the break. I was just wondering what I should do exactly? Should I leave it be just the way it is? Should I cut back the stem to one of the nodes? or should I completely cut off the entire stem to the base of the leaves? I have read some posts about putting cinnamon on the "open" part of he stem where it broke off. Would this help or hurt it? And do I need to worry about it drying out now if I don't do anything. If someone could please let me know what to do I greatly appreciate it. I'm very upset because I have waited 8 long months for it to bloom again and hope that there is a chance it still might. Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stem of phal regrowing and accidentally broke

In my very limited experience and knowledge, I think I would NOT cut it further down at this point but only make sure the break is a clean cut with a disposable razor. I do not put cinnamon on the open part of the plant when I cut it but just watch it carefully. Maybe someone more familiar with doing this can comment.
I see no reason why your phal should not throw off another spike from this one but it will take some time.
As far as I know, cutting of the entire stem makes the plant spike from "scratch" which is desirable when you want the plant to rest between flowering. Cutting back to the appropriate node give the plant a "head start" to the next flowering...so essentially, you will wait a bit longer but not 8 months.
Hopefully, two nodes will propagate and you will get twice the blooms :)

o
RE: Stem of phal regrowing and accidentally broke

Good advice from eyedee. Make sure the break is a clean cut. Leave the spike intact, but cut back to just above the nearest node, and down the line one of the nodes may sprout another bloom spike. The flowers may be fewer and smaller but at least you'll get flowers. If you cut the spike off, you may have to wait until next year.

Been there, done that!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here