Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nico45ser

Favorite and Recommended Orchids?

allymarie
9 years ago

What is your favorite orchid(s)? Yes, I know it's a most difficult question.lol What orchids do you recommend orchid lovers should have in their collection? Cattleya Skinneri is a favorite because it was my first catt.I would recommend it for every collection because it never disappoints.It has bountiful beautiful blooms and very hardy with a vigorous growing habit.

Allymarie

Comments (18)

• shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
    9 years ago

Hi allymarie. Like you I live in zone 10. That is a big influence on the components of my collection. I'm partial to brassavola. (lady of the night) and the various species. brassavola also makes excellent hybrids. There are extensive hybrid choices. Including Cattalea. The brasavolas grow here as if they were native to our environment. They are prolific in Mexico, Central America, and northern South America. Everybody in southern Florida needs at least a few...

• allymarie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Shavedmonkey,

I've had a B. Nodosa for years, it hardly grows and never bloomed for me.I did have it under a tree for a long time and moved it to get more light a few months ago.Any tips to get it moving?Here's a pic.

Allymarie

• gyr_falcon
    9 years ago

My favorite orchid will probably be a surprise name: Bletilla striata. I use it as a groundcover in some areas of the garden. It is a breeze to grow, the foliage is attractive, and the pretty flowers last for months. I also favor Sobralia, another nice foliage plant that flowers for a few months during the middle of summer.

I don't believe there is a one-size-fits-all for collection growing. Here, for example, cymbidiums are extremely easy to grow outside year round. But in other areas of the country, they can be more of a challenge. If pinned down, I would probably just say a Phalaenopsis because they are easy for most to grow and often bloom for 6 months. But I don't have a single phal in my collection at the moment, so maybe that does not meet the requirements...

• tolumniamatt
    9 years ago

Allymarie,
    Where do you live? Climate differences can change which orchids are easier to grow.

Here are a few that I really like:
    Encyclia cordigera
    Encyclia mariae
    Encyclia vittelina
    Oncidium ornithorhynchum
    Oncidium varicosum
    Cattleya/laelia tenebrosa
    Cattleya guttata
    Paphiopedilum hemryanum
    Epidendrum ciliare
    Tolumnia triquetra
    Epidendrum scriptum
    Epidendrum radicans
    Brassia ochroleuca
    All of the following dend. are similar in plant color, habiot and culture:
    Dendrobium chrysotoxum
    Dendrobium farmerii
    Dendrobium densiflorum
    Dendrobium thrysiflorum
    Rhynchostele aptera
    Trichopilia suavis

There are many more, but this gives you a good idea of what I like - big or large number of flowers for plant size, fragrance, and ease of growth.

• orchidnick
    9 years ago

My favorites for some time now have been the 'Cloud Forrest Plants'. Pleuros, Dracs, Masdies and a whole bunch of little minis that go with that group. After a year of begging, pleading and prompting, a Pleurothallis collosus is on it's way to me. I have not seen it yet, it's coming from Florida. If that thing will thrive for me, it could well become my all time favorite.

Check it out. The leaves on that plant are 5' off the ground.

http://www.orchidspecies.com/orphotdir/pleurocolossus.jpg

Nick

• James _J
    9 years ago

I've always liked Laelias as a group. I tend to like bright, solid color star shaped flowers.

Everyone should have a Neostylis, they stay small and are easy to get along with.

I was never a big fan of Oncidiums but lately I have been enjoying the twinkle type Oncidiums. They also stay small and make lots of scented flowers.

There's something about a large white Phal that is so elegant that everyone should have 1.... or 2 .

• allymarie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Toluminamatt,

I know climate determines what we grow but people who live in similar zones can recommend orchids and favorites to each other.I have seen some beautiful orchids on this forum, looked them up to see if they are warm growing and bought them.I have a few of the orchids you mentioned in your list.

I live in Homestead, Fl near Miami

Allymarie

• terpguy
    9 years ago

Allymarie, you know you live next to the AOS headquarters,right?

Try giving your moods a more light. Ideally it would have some purple on the leaves.

Here's a nice list of orchids that have always had my heart:
    Angraecum didieri
    BLC George King 'Serenditipty'
    Phalaenopsis violacea
    Phalaenopsis bellina
    Brassavola nodosa
    Rhyncholaelia digbyana
    Bulbophyllum medusae
    Paphiopedilum delenatii
    Paphiopedilum sanderianum
    Paphiopedilum lowii
    Phragmipedium grande
    Epidendrum ilense
    Epidendrum pseudepidendrum

9 years ago

Hi allymarie,

Brassavolla likes everything. Lots of water, fertilizer and sun. They also like to be mounted or the climb out of the pot. Like your nodosa. Notice how the active end of the rhizome is out of the basket. Encourage it. it will grow.

Below is a brassavola hybrid that is an easy grower.Blc rustic spots...

• allymarie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Shavedmonkey.I don't fertilize much but will start.I also have Bl Yellow Bird and one called Makai, spelling might be wrong.

Terpguy,I have a few on your list already.I love the George King.I went to an orchid festival today but didn't see it.I love cattleyas and laelias.

Allymarie

• James _J
    9 years ago

Here is my nodosa, it looked just like yours a few years ago. I think once yours gets a little bigger it will flower more.

• allymarie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lumpy, your Nodosa is so healthy. I had mine under a mango tree for years.I guess it's a strong little thing to have held on so long from my neglect.Flowers are gorgeous.

Allymarie

9 years ago

Can be temperamental but what a show. Brassia edvah loo. These are special for me.

• orchidnick
    9 years ago

Wow, these are quite spectacular. It goes on my SBOE wish list.

Nick

• ken_ny
    9 years ago

Dendrobium Udom stripe
    Oncidium Killer Bees
    Dendrobium Enobi
    Epi Ilense
    Epi Costa Rica
    SLC Seagulls Mini Cat Heaven
    Vanda Gordon Dillon
    Vanda Teres V andersonii
    Dendrobium Puxie Princess

• cwcervantes
    9 years ago

Hello everyone!

Here's my list of favorite orchids:

Angraecum sesquipedale: huge plant with huge blooms that smell great a night; an easy grower and reliable bloomer.

Rhynchostylis gigantea: reliable bloomer, great scent, and colorful flowers, also easy growing

Dendrobium superbum: beautiful pendant canes with either lots of foliage or tons of flowers; the dry winter rest make these easy to care for as they need little attention half the year

and finally ... Brassavolas!

• terpguy
    9 years ago

Brassavola win the day!

• cwcervantes
    9 years ago

Yes. They're so easy to grow and the foliage and flowers are very pretty. I imagine they are practically weeds in Zone 10-11. Would look really cool covering the trunk of a palm tree or growing on the side of cement/stone wall. My favorite so far is B. subulifolia (previously B. cordata).

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!