Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
orchidnick

Let's bring the exchange forum back to life.

orchidnick
9 years ago

The exchange forum used to be a busy place where numerous people exchange numerous orchids virtually every week. There simply is no cheaper and funner way to acquire orchids than to trade for them. If you have a few divisions you can live without, put them in the mail and for the price of your postage you will receive brand new plants you don't have.

I had given up on it but Allymarie stimulated my interest and I would like to see an attempt made to get that thing back to life. I have posted a few and at this point will accept virtually anything in return just to get the ball rolling.

Nick

Comments (33)

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    9 years ago

Woohoo, Nick! How are you for Nun's orchid? I'm guessing you are good, with your collection. I doubt I have any orchid that you don't. Are there any other plants for which you are looking?

Will any of those orchids that you posted over on the Exchange work in hot and humid Jacksonville, Florida? I know some orchids, for example, cymbidium, will not work here due to our humidity. I'm not crazy about yellows but Encyclia cochleata, Blc Sea Urchin and Stanhopea grandiflorum are beautiful!

Carol in Jacksonville

• allymarie
    9 years ago

I always wondered why there were no exchanges with such an active forum.I think it's a grand idea Nick.

Allymarie

• James _J
    9 years ago

I tried to do something last summer and was about to try again. My idea was to have a group offer up a few plants each into a pool. Then everyone in the group would pick from the pool one at a time until they were all gone NFL draft style. Since Nick posted 4, I will post 4.
    Ansellia Africana "garden party"
    Bulbo medusea
    C jenmanii
    Den nobile type ( cant think of the name right now)
    I can post pics later. I have to run out.

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Carol, all of the 4 I posted are OK for the heat and humidity of Florida. I'm open for 'Nun's orchid and many others. There are so many that no collection is beyond enhancement.

lumpy_i, I would be interested in the Ansella and the Cattleya.

LMK, Nick

• James _J
    9 years ago

I would be interested in the BLC Sea Urchin and Encylia.

Mine are small, here is the Cat. There is a picture of the Ansellia on the exchange form from last year.

9 years ago

Yay! Thanks to Nick and Lumpy for getting this ball rolling - what fun! Nick, I will contact you offline from the Exchange page.

Carol

• emily78
    9 years ago

Next question, how to divide an orchid? All I have are phals.

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Emily you can't divide Phaelies. If they choose to make a keiki you'll have a second pant but you can't force that to happen.

Nick

• allymarie
    9 years ago

Hello,

I would love to trade for orchids.I have a few orchids to trade and if some of you don't mind bromeliads.

C. Skinneri Alba
    C.Skinneri in a small 2" pot
    Onc. Floridium
    Encyclia Alata
    Encyclia Cordigera
    Achemea Del Mar-bromeliad
    Achemea Blue Tango-bromeliad

Many more broms, big and small.

Allymarie

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey lumpy. I'll take the little catt and t e Ansella. I'll send you an email.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Allymarie, i'd love to trade you for the Encyclia cordigera I'll send you an email.

Nick

• James _J
    9 years ago

OK Nick, e mail me your info and I will send them out.

9 years ago

Allymarie,

Are you interested in any plants besides orchids? I don't have orchids as I am new to them but have lots of broms and a million other plants as well as terrestrial orchid - Nun's orchid. I would love to have a pup of your Achemea Del Mar. Do you have a Wish List of plants?

Thanks!
    Carol in Jacksonville

• allymarie
    9 years ago

Hi Carol,

I would gladly send you Achemea Del Mar.I would love to trade for a nun's cap orchid.I have Tankervillae and Kryptonite"Chariot of Fire.What types do you have?Do you have any Angel Wing Begonias?

Allymarie

9 years ago

Allymarie, would LOVE to do a trade - yes I do have both cane and dragonwing begonias - but just a quick note to let you know I've run into some snags - hot water heater is leaking in the garage and several other things popped up that are going to keep me from gardening. I'll get back to you when things calm down.

Carol

• allymarie
    9 years ago

Hi Carol,

Sorry to hear you're having some trouble, hope everything has calmed down for you.Post when you can.

Take care,

Allymarie

• shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
    9 years ago

I have a bare root C. Skinneri var. Colrulea for trade. There are 2 new growths started. It could be divided once more for 2 plants.

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'd be interested. What would you like?

Nick

9 years ago

Hi Nick,

Do you still have enc. Cochleata?

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes I have several divisions let me look. Also have a Dendrobium speciosum v hillii 'Don Browm' CBM/AOS which is about 10 years old and bloomed for the first time this spring. That would be a valuable trade if you like that sort of thing. I have 2 of them.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I would have to make a division. It would not be big enough to equal your skinneri. A 2 for 1 would work. Divisions already made are Max tenefiolia, Stanhopea grandiflorum. Also have a fairly large Onc altissima which is a duplicate for me. Here is a picture of the altissima.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a picture of the Max tenefiolia which could be coupled with an Encyclia cochleata or Stan grandiflora.
    Nick

9 years ago

I'll take your 10 yr. old Den with great excitement but I'll need to raise my side of the trade. speciosum has been on my short list. I'll be lucky to have it. What are the culture requirements for speciosum? Will it tolerate south Fl. weather?I want it but I don't have the heart to bring it to a hostile climate. I hope it likes it here. I'm going to see what I can find to add to the trade...Thanks Nick...

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It likes a cold winter. Otherwise extremely hardy and tolerant of a variety of conditions. My daughter in San Diego enjoyed it's bloom and still has it right now. Unless for some reason she comes up here, I won't see her until June 7th. If you can wait until then, it will be in the mail June 8th.

Nick

9 years ago

That date is good. We always get 40 something and every few years we get 30 something. And occasionally lower. What temps does it like in the winter. I keep a mini greenhouse at 50 when needed.

C. louise Georgiana 'perfection' Pure white. Blooms in summer. It is completely growing out of the pot. When the bloom is over there will be divisions for trade.

9 years ago

Asct. miniatum for trade. Well established on cork.

9 years ago

Den wasselii. On cork, well established. Has bloomed.

9 years ago

Brassia pettiforme, this plant came from Ecuador. This was a volunteer division. Just kinda fell off. There is a spike and new root growth.

9 years ago

more brassia pettiforme. The bloom is done...

Those above is what I can find for trade. Nick, pick another for that den. The skinnerii is not enough....

This post was edited by shavedmonkey on Fri, May 23, 14 at 14:01

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'd like to get all of them except the walissii. I have a large one. All of the plants I mentioned are on the table including this Encyclia cochleata division I found.

Summing up:

Onc altissima
    Encyclia cochleata
    Stanhopea grandiflora
    Dend speciosum
    Max tenefiolia

There are others Let me know what talks to you. Many, not all, of the plants I post pictures of on the Gallery forum can yield a division.

Nick

• allymarie
    9 years ago

You guys are trading some very nice plants.Shavedmonkey I'm interested in your Den Wasselii for a trade.

Allymarie

9 years ago

Allymarie, I want to get back to you. If it would be ok with you, I would like to wait until the fall for two reasons. First, that new hot water heater drained my gardening budget. :( Second, we are really moving into a bad time of year to ship tender plants in Florida. I think a bromeliad would make it just fine but begonias, on the other hand, I would worry about. Even with 2-Day Priority Mail, I am hesitant to ship rooted plants or cuttings. I'm afraid they will arrive "a hot mess". Can I contact you in September or October? Don't save anything for me... we'll just see if I have anything that would interest you then.

Thanks!
    Carol

• allymarie
    9 years ago

Hi Carol,

Ok, let me know when you're ready.

Allymarie

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21