Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
orchidnick

'In-house' divisions.

orchidnick
9 years ago

Something rarely used but useful to know is to make a division and leave it in place. There are 2 reasons for doing this.

A small division is definitely stressed and not always successful. Not only is it severed from mom but it's also unpotted and jammed into a new situation. You can remove one of the 2stresses by cutting it and then leaving it in place until it initiates a new growth. It's roots will be undisturbed and it will have a better chance of making it. Eventually remove it and do with it whatever the initial plan was but give it 6 months between the cut and the removal.

The second reason is to make a fuller pot and encourage growth in the back of a plant. The plant shown here is motoring along towards the left of the picture and absolutely nothing needs to be done, it's doing fine.

Nick

Comments (10)

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The front of it showing it's march into the world all in one direction.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I made a cut between the 2nd and 3rd pbulb, the 2 ends can be clearly seen. I'll leave it there and expect a new growth to emerge from the small plant on the right. This will eventually lead to a fuller pot with new plant material developing in the back.

This is not necessary but it's an otherwise boring day with LA not playing Chicago (hockey) for another 4 hours. I did this mostly to demonstrate the concept but it will eventually lead to a fuller presentation for this plant. I guess you would call it meddlesome orchid growing. The plants prefer to be left alone and thrive on benign neglect but then on the other hand, we need to have some fun too.

Nick

• philpet
    9 years ago

Thanks nick,this is a very neat way to get two plants with a lot less stress,and I seem to have a negative effect on catts they commit suicide the minute they see me.lol. But I am determined to get it right this year.Velleta

• terpguy
    9 years ago

If I'm not mistaken this can create issues for people intending to exhibit plants for awards. I think the AOS looks down on this method for trying to get awards. Great for personal use though

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

An AOS award is given to ONE plant, you are right, the above would be disqualified. I'm not in any way angling for AOS awards though so I don't really care. I much prefer a pot with plant material hanging over all sides. One other negative is that since you end up with 2 plants, they may not bloom at exactly the same time.

Nick

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

I was taught by an old time grower to only cut 1/2 through a section if you want to produce growth from older back bulbs. The division remains part of the plant but the cut spurs the bulb to produce a new growth in the opposite direction. You then get a full pot with the plant going both ways.

I tried it last Spring on a large Gaskellina and it worked. I got a new back growth with good root growth. I didn't want to divide as I want to produce a nice specimen size plant. Of course, the downside is having leafless bulbs in the center of the pot.

Jane

• terpguy
    9 years ago

That's a good thing Nick! It means a a longer bloom time ð¸

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If there are going to be 15 flowers, I prefer to have them bloom all at the same time looks much more spectacular. I have heard of this before, Jane, have never tried it but I will.

Back to the plant I divided, the other trick is to remove the small piece after it initiates, turn it around 180 degrees and replant it in the same pot to ensure that the plant is growing in both directions.

• allymarie
    9 years ago

I wasn't aware of this method to regenerate new growth.I will try it on a few catts and see how it goes.

I always learn something new from this forum.Thanks for the lessons Nick.

Allymarie

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Try Jane's method first. It leaves you with ONE plant rather than 2.

Nick