Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Reconditioning prime agra???

Posted by jank US10 (My Page) on
Tue, May 24, 11 at 17:57

Does anyone have a method of cleansing/purifying old prime agra so that it can be reused?

I have been soaking it in clorox and water for few days, then completely drying it in the sun, before baking it at 400 degrees for a few hours, to kill anything living, I hope.

Then I have been soaking it in magnesium sulfate---or another time, vinegar---trying to get out any dissolved minerals. Then soaking in fresh water for a few more days.

Anyone have a method with more "science" to it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Reconditioning prime agra???

Are you sure there's a need for it? I can't think of a good reason to go to all that effort unless the previous plant was diseased. Some people worry about about mineral accumulation in media like this, but it's not a concern when you look at it from a plant's perspective. Plants are only affected by minerals that are dissolved in the soil solution, and these minerals are easily flushed away during watering. Minerals that are adsorbed onto a medium like Prime Agra do not contribute to soil solution TDS, and therefore have no effect on roots.

I reuse all my inorganic media with no special treatment.

o

I agree, probably over kill. I reuse my rocks after washing. If you want to continue the clorox wash and sun-dry steps, that will kill algae and any insects. Properly watered orchids don't have mineral buildup problems for most water sources.

o

I soak mine in 10% bleach solution over night, rinse thoroughly, soak over night again in plain water, then air dry it to make sure the chorine has been removed.

I clean mine because of the possibility of virus not because of a mineral build up.

Brooke

o

• Posted by jank US10 (My Page) on
    Thu, May 26, 11 at 0:49

Thanks for the input.
I was most concerned about algae and virus, being that I'm sure I must have some among 200 plants even if it is not clearly evident.
Wasn't sure about the second step. I am an over-waterer, so guess I don't have to worry about the minerals.
Have already done the chlorine soak, rinse, and dry; so guess it is on to repotting!
Jan

o

Ditto, I soak in Chlorine only.

Nick

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here