Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Make sure it runs out the bottom.

Posted by orchidnick z9Ca (orchidnick@yahoo.com) on
Tue, May 31, 11 at 18:52

Recently a friend brought me a Masdie in a 4" clay pot, growing in Sphagnum moss, which is not thriving. He waters it daily. The surface of the pot seemed wet enough but it felt lighter than similar pots I have, also in moss. I asked him if he waters until water physically runs out the bottom hole. He stated that he did not check for that as the pot sits on a bench.

We took the plant to the RO unit and slowly added 1 1/2 drinking glasses of RO water before it started dripping out of the bottom hole. By then the pot weighed twice as much as before. He was flabbergasted!

SM soaks up a tremendous amount of water before it is truly wet. One must ensure that water drips out of the MIDDLE of the bottom before concluding that adequate watering has occurred.

If you do not check for this, take a large plant growing in sphagnum moss in your collection and see how much water you need to add before it drips out of the bottom. You may get a surprise. One word of caution: Not all plants like to be that wet, I'm specifically talking about cloud forest plants in the Pleuro family who do thrive in this moist environment.

Nick

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Make sure it runs out the bottom.

I like to water all my plants that much, pour the water through, pour the water through, pour the water through. For those who need to dry out some, water less often. This makes sure, as you said, that the roots are all well watered.

Once sphagnum gets truly dry, it can be hard to re-wet. Even getting water to run out the bottom may not do the job because the water finds a channel around the dry middle.

o

Well, that's really the message. SM has pitfalls and can be drier than appearance suggests After you rehydrate, it may not really be as wet as you think it is.

Nick

o

Yep Nick. That like I was talking about in a previous thread w/ the clear pots and a little dish detergent.gb

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here