Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nico45ser

Success with orchid back bulbs

allymarie
9 years ago

Hi,

Has anyone tried and been successful in growing orchids from old pseudo bulbs?I'm trying with an oncidium but no luck yet.I'm going to also try an encyclia and see what happens.

Allymarie

Comments (19)

• stampstudio73137 kemp
    9 years ago

Yes i have. I usually put them in an orchid cup with a small amount of spagnum moss and i keep my around the outer part of the greenhouse on a semi shelf area where they get very little water. It take a while and you will see a small adition.
    Bill

• allymarie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, that's good news.Thanks Bill!

Allymarie

This post was edited by allymarie on Tue, May 20, 14 at 14:56

• orchidnick
    9 years ago

Just remember that it takes roots to absorb water. A rootless backbulb should therefore not be watered until it produces a new platelet with roots. Then water and fertilize it prior to that it will only cause it to rot.

I place them in a cool, shady, dry place until they initiate then plant them and treat them like a plant.

Nick

• orchidnick
    9 years ago

Allymarie, you stimulated me into action. I haven't addressed backbulbs for a while so there were some ready for harvesting. I did and took pictures as I went along. Making new plants out of backbulbs is in no way similar to making a division. A division should be a viable plant, hopefully with a new growth that can be traded as chance for success is close to 100% if treated properly.

Harvesting backbulbs is a hope exercise with chance of success hovering around 50% plus. Some make it others don't. You need a little space to park them and lots of patience

First 3 pictures are backbulbs that were taken last year and have sprouted, one got mounted, the other potted AFTER they sprouted. Prior to that they were just lying there without water in a shady place..

Nick

• orchidnick
    9 years ago

Another view of the mounted one. As you can see the old backbulbs have almost withered away and have just fulfilled their last biological function to start a new plant by providing it with energy. When the new plant is strong and strapping, they'll probably be removed as they will look ugly and have nothing further to add to the well being of the new plant.

Nick

• orchidnick
    9 years ago

Backbulb from the same plant, taken at the same time but with roots. It got potted and looks a little less withered. The new growth is larger, it helps to start with roots but is not necessary.

Nick

• orchidnick
    9 years ago

This plant has 4 bulbs with leaves, 1 new growth and 3 leafless backbulbs. Removing one of the leafless old backulbs will in no way hurt this plant which, by the way is, a key ingredient to this exercise. Only remove if you feel sure the removed part won't be missed.

Nick

• orchidnick
    9 years ago

The removed backbulb. No roots, will be stored dry until it makes a new growth, IF it makes a new growth. Success is not guaranteed but no harm is done.

Nick

• orchidnick
    9 years ago

Coelogyne tommii has 7 bulbs with leaves, multiple new growths and 4 leafless backbulbs. It's ripe for harvesting some of the backbulbs.

Nick

• orchidnick
    9 years ago

A backbulbs without roots. Will be stored dry.

Nick

• allymarie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

How interesting! Thanks for the info and pics.I have 4 oncidium bulbs and one encyclia.I'm prepared to wait and see what will happen.Nature is so amazing.

Allymarie

• orchidnick
    9 years ago

Another with roots, will be potted.

Nick

• orchidnick
    9 years ago

Potted.

Nick

• orchidnick
    9 years ago

Another plant,e bulbs with leaves, 1 new growth with leaves and 3 leafless backbulb.

Nick

• orchidnick
    9 years ago

Backbulb with roots.

Nick

• orchidnick
    9 years ago

Large plant in need for up-potting, the perfect time to remove old backbulbs.

Nick

• orchidnick
    9 years ago

Potted.

Nick

• orchidnick
    9 years ago

This plant has 4 bulbs with leaves 1 new growth and 1 leafless backbulb which could be removed but I will not do it. Too close to the active part of the plant. Something like this I will leave alone.

The reason I make all these little plants is that I enjoy trading and also donate them to societies for their auctions. It's frustrating how reluctant people are to trade but 2 years from now i can take these little plants to our silent auction and get $7 to $10 for each one. Then I'll turn around and buy some of the stuff others brought in for sale. That's a trade by a different name and I enjoy it.

Nick

• westoh Z6
    9 years ago

I see you are experimenting with a course and finer orchiata mix for the last two bb's. (Are they both orchiata mixes?)

In a year or so, let us know which did better :)

Good luck,

Bob

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022