Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
philpet

enclycia cordegera psudobulbs getting wrinkled

philpet
9 years ago

Hi everyone,now I got the really lovely enclycia cordegera orchid at a flower show in early may,it had only a few not so obvious wrinkles in two of its psudobulbs now a few weeks later the wrinkles have gotton worst.i water every seven day,when the roots seem dry.its potted in fir bark and charcoal and I wait until the roots go bk to white before watering I am afraid of root rot so I choose not to water more often as I tend to be heavy handed with water could someone with experience please advise me as to what I am doing wrong,I really would love to keep this plant alive.we are now in our rainy season an therefore the climate is not really hot or dry.we get heavy rain on a daily basis.velleta

Comments (8)

• philpet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is a pic of my plant, the two psudobulbs at the end are the ones with the wrinkles also one of them has a small new growth on it. Velleta

• philpet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Closer pic of the psudobulbs Velleta.

• James _J
    9 years ago

Might not be a problem, we all get some wrinkles as we get older.

I would be worried if the wrinkles were on the new growth.

James

• philpet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi James thanks,but one of the psudobulbs with the winkles has a blooming spike??. I watered this morning and I notice yet another new growth on the same psudobulb with the first growth making two new leads on one psudobulb.i really hope it will be ok,thanks again.Velleta

• allymarie
    9 years ago

Hi Velleta,

I have Encyclia Cordigera and Alata for many years . They're tough orchids that are so beautiful and come with a fragrance. I'm no orchid expert but the bulbs do wrinkle over time.I believe you have the semi alba.My cordigera doesn't like to stay in its pot, it's practically growing on the side.

Allymarie

• philpet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks alleymarie,could you give me a few pointers on watering and its light needs I have. Mine in a shaded west facing exposure,and yes the fragrance is awesome,also should I allow it to grow out of its pot before repotting? Just want to make sure I provide optimal care for it ðÂÂÂ. Velleta

• James _J
    9 years ago

I still think it's OK. Once the bulbs are wrinkled they will stay that way, watering more won't make them fill in. Since it is flowering now it has finished it's growth cycle, it will still provide energy to future growth but it will not grow anymore or flower again. It might drop the leaves next year or the year after which is normal. Sometimes the bulbs also get too fat and split. The fat bulbs and rigid leaves of these to me say that they are capable of surviving dry spells, so I would be more worried about over watering than under watering.

• philpet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok,thanks James. So watch my waterings,err on the side of less water. Thanks to both you and allymarie for your advise. I had a smaller plant before which died and I was so happy I got a bigger one which i plan to keep alive this time around,I seem to have a way to go before I figure out enclycia's and catts Lol. Velleta