Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drewtoby

Moth Orchid Grown Sideways

drewtoby
9 years ago

I am a new orchid owner! I was given two moth orchids by a friend. However, one of the moth orchids he gave me seems to have been grown sideways, almost like a cascade bonsai in training (the other is upright). I have attached a picture of it. I am using a rock and put the clear orchid container into a bigger white cup to keep it upright.

I know that these are epiphytes and don't always grow like normal plants. I also know that the roots are fleshy and are not tolerant of being cut like bonsai roots. However, can I do anything to get this orchid upright again?

Also, is this natural or more from lack of plant rotation?

I plan to grow these in a south facing window 2 feet back and off to the side of the window to prevent excess light. I'll rotate the upright one every few days. (The sunburn spots are not new)

If I am unable to get this orchid upright should I keep it fixed towards the window? Also, any suggestions to keep the pot from falling over as it continues to grow? It is currently blooming so I will not do anything major until the flower stem dies.

Finally, is keeping the orchid in the white cup okay? Or do I need more air circulation? And what are those brown spots on the leaves?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists