Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bunnygurl

I think this is an Orchid

bunnygurl
13 years ago

I think I read somewhere that this is an Orchid, but I can't remember for sure or what it's name is. I think it started with a 'D'? Found it at a far away (relatively, half hour drive) garden centre 75% off because it was finished flower, however there are still a few flowers attached. Anyone think they can help me out?

{{gwi:171877}}

The whole Orchid.

{{gwi:171886}}

The relatively small flowers.

Any and all help is always much appreciated!

Comments (13)

• rwood24
    13 years ago

Yeah that's A chid canes spike even the lil clip u see of 90% of orchids. Kind of looks
    like a dendrobium especialy a dendro tarberi that I once had colors are slighty whiter on mine If i had my money on it I'd say dendro. Interested to hear what others say.

• arthurm
    13 years ago

It is probably an Encyclia.

• digitalphrag
    13 years ago

As arthurm said, it's most likely an Encyclia of some kind. I don't know the whole group well enough to conclude whether it's a species, hybrid, or from a closely allied genus.

It's definitely not a dendrobium. Notice that the central column (where the pollen is stored) is long and extended, which is a feature of many cattleya relatives, but not of dendrobiums.

• bunnygurl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Now that I've seen the name Dendrobium I could've sworn that's what it was. I saw this Orchid for sale at a different garden centre (worse condition plants for a much higher price) and the sign they had next to them was Dedrobium something-or-another.

I'm going there today to get a couple plants so I can double check the sign when I'm there if that might help?

• philohela
    13 years ago

This is an Encyclia, definitely NOT a Dendrobium. Looks sort of like Encyclia leucantha (google it, and Dendrobium, to see the differences), but I'm not familiar with all the species or possible hybrids. Good luck on your search.

• digitalphrag
    13 years ago

Bunnygirl, it doesn't hurt to check the sign, but without a tag in the plant, it may be difficult to get an exact identification on it, unless it's a fairly common hybrid (which it is not) or if it happens to be a natural species.

Also, the signs at garden centers, whether they be national chains or local businesses, are not necessarily going to be accurate for identification purposes. For instance, the signs and price tags at Lowe's and Home Depot will say something like 4" phalaenopsis or 6" dendrobium, when in fact there are a variety of genera being offered in those size pots for the same price. One of the local Home Depots at this very moment has a sign for 4 inch phals, but the flats contain a variety of phals, some oncidium intergenerics, and even a couple dendrobiums.

• bunnygurl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I checked the sign, but silly me I didn't bring anything to write the name down on. All I remember is that it said it's a reed-stem Epidendrum. Does that help?

• xmpraedicta
    13 years ago

This is definitely not a reed stem epidendrum, or a dendrobium. I would suspect some sort of encyclia x epidendrum hybrid. I've never seen an encyclia with such tall pseudobulbs before...how strange. It's very nice, in my opinion

• rhynno
    13 years ago

I have the same plant. I was always told that it was a reed stem epidendrum. It grows like a weed and has no pseudobulbs. I have mine in s/h and it loves it so far. The scent of the flowers is very nice.

Good luck with yours!

Ryan

• xmpraedicta
    13 years ago

Although the term 'reed stem' is loosely defined, I'm nearly positive that it is somewhat restricted to the four species Epi. radicans, Epi. ibaguense, Epi. cinnabarinum and Epi. secundum, and their respective hybrids.

I did a bit of searching and I the closest I could come to was epidendrum paniculatum. Check it out here...
    and a flower closeup

• rwood24
    13 years ago

Whatever the case I feel u have beautiful orchid bunnygurl. Call it whatever who cares I have about 4 that I don't know what they are tried to Id myself not so good posted 2 on here and got lots of diff responseIssac say just keep giving it the same care you've been and it'll be fine it's very nice. Have a great day.

• jamcm
    13 years ago

I agree with Calvin that it's likely an Epidendrum / Encyclia cross of some kind. Given the number of possibilities, it's often very difficult to know for sure what an unknown plant is. With the basic ID of Epidendrum / Encyclia, though, it will at least give you a starting point to research care for your new plant. Its culture will be very similar to Cattleyas - lots of light and warmth, and watering only when it's dry. The Canadian Orchid Congress (an umbrella organization for all Canadian orchid societies) has produced some great culture sheets for home culture, which I've hyperlinked below.

Good luck with your new plant!

Julie

Here is a link that might be useful: COC Culture Sheets

• bunnygurl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the help everyone! I would never forget or neglect a plant just 'cause I don't know the name. It's just fun to know, ya know.

I wanted it since the moment I laid eyes on it but it was too much for my little budget - $45. Until I found it somewhere else for $10. I just about nearly freaked.

For now I'll give it the temporaray name of Epidendrum paniculatum, and that can always be changed if needed as I learn more.

Again, thanks so much for everyones help. Ya'll are fantastic!

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville