Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ohsixthirty

Orchids under a cloche...good idea or not???

ohsixthirty
14 years ago

So, I'm a total novice when it comes to the world of orchids. In fact until a few months ago I thought I would never want a plant that took so long to reflower, but suddenly I'm becoming a little addicted to them. I have five total: two phalaenopsis, one doritaenopsis, and two paphiopedilum.

Currently, I have the two paphs in the pots they came in, which appear to be the correct medium and correct types of pots for orchids. I have both of them under cloches because I thought they need humidity (plus it looks great). Also, the dtps is under a small cloche as well. Its still in its original pot, although when I checked its roots it seemed to be rotting, the ends of a couple were brown and mushy. It was on $8 special at Kroger though, so no surprise there. I cut those off and repotted it with some plain old orchid mix and put it back in its cloche.

All of these orchids are in a room with a south facing window and they all seem to be doing well so far, although last week the bloom on one of the paphs had fallen off. I think it was fading when I purchased it, but I didn't realize it would just fall off! Is that normal?

I guess my question mainly is if cloches are a good idea for these? I haven't had them for long, my collection has grown faster than my knowledge has, so I'm worried that I might unwittingly make some mistake!

Here are pictures so you can see my setup...

{{gwi:171926}}{{gwi:171927}}

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider