Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Phal flowers dropping after 3 days

Posted by uranakak none (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 8, 14 at 4:32

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help me. About 4 weeks ago, I bought a new phalaenopsis in Honolulu, HI.

It started out fine, been fertilizing with my usual fertilizer every 2 weeks. After the first two weeks, one of the flowers started to close/wilt and dropped off after a couple days. Every few days thereafter, this would happen to another flower. I thought I had just bought the phal after it had been open for awhile, so didn't think a lot of it

Then, the third week, three flowers all started wilting at once and I realized there was a mealybug prpblem. I treated the plant with 70% isopropyl alcohol, both spraying and using q tips. After 2 days, I could no longer see any mealybugs and thought it would be fine. But, the few remaining flowers all wilted and dropped. I thought it was just after effects of the mealy bugs.

In the meantime, my orchid has new healthy buds forming. Just a few days ago, a new flower opened up. When it opened, I had to clean off some mysterious black residue on the flower, not sure what that was. I thought everything would be fine, but after being open for 3 days, the flower has wilted and is about to drop

I still have at least 3 more buds and would like to save those!

I have 2 other phals and one miltonia within 30 ft. of my probpem phal and they are all doing fine.. Any help is greatly appreciated.

This post was edited by uranakak on Sun, Jun 8, 14 at 4:41

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Phal flowers dropping after 3 days

If the new buds are opening and falling after only a few days,it can be humidity,phals like to be a little moist.but I am also wondering about the alcohol spray,did you also spray the unopen buds or the roots? Remember the roots acts like a sponge so if the roots were sprayed then it would absorb the alcohol. Not good.i think if you could post a pic so we could see the plant then someone could be of better help.velleta

o

Here's the flowers/spike

o

Here's the roots

Leaves are big and green and look healthy.

Also I only water every 10ish days.

If humidity is the problem this must be a sensitive phal! shucks. :( I've never had problems with my other phals (or dendrobiums) with humidity inside the home before.

o

• Posted by arthurm Sydney, NSW AUST (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 8, 14 at 19:57

You only water every 10th day! Here, where Phals are regarded as ungrowable by most orchid growers i'm watering my small indoor collection of the beasties twice a week.
Current temperature where they are growing is 18C and humidity is 51%.
Those thick leaves store water, but I think those roots need to wet every couple of days, especially in Hawaii where I would expect your temps to be much higher indoors.

o

Well I water when the top is dry - takes maybe 10ish days. I live in the back half of a valley, where it rains all of the time and is more wet than other places in Hawaii, so it takes awhile for it the top of the medium to be dry. I think it's about 78F(?) during the day where my phal is growing.. Definitely higher than 18C!

o

Your potting mix also looks a little old to me,maybe you could repot it using bark and a bit of spagnum.

o

• Posted by arthurm Sydney, NSW AUST (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 9, 14 at 16:49

There is a general rule that as you get closer to the equator the mixes used become more arid for many Genera.
Maybe check with some of the orchid nurseries and local orchid societies to see what they use in the mix.

o

I agree with Arthurm and Philpet. The mix looks bad. I would cut off the spike and repot the plant in some fresh mix. It will grow new leaves and will make a new spike in the Fall.

Jane

o

Ok thanks for the suggestions everyone, I appreciate it. I will repot this weekend!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here