Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nightstars558

Help! Phal flowers dropping after 3 days

nightstars558
9 years ago

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help me. About 4 weeks ago, I bought a new phalaenopsis in Honolulu, HI.

It started out fine, been fertilizing with my usual fertilizer every 2 weeks. After the first two weeks, one of the flowers started to close/wilt and dropped off after a couple days. Every few days thereafter, this would happen to another flower. I thought I had just bought the phal after it had been open for awhile, so didn't think a lot of it

Then, the third week, three flowers all started wilting at once and I realized there was a mealybug prpblem. I treated the plant with 70% isopropyl alcohol, both spraying and using q tips. After 2 days, I could no longer see any mealybugs and thought it would be fine. But, the few remaining flowers all wilted and dropped. I thought it was just after effects of the mealy bugs.

In the meantime, my orchid has new healthy buds forming. Just a few days ago, a new flower opened up. When it opened, I had to clean off some mysterious black residue on the flower, not sure what that was. I thought everything would be fine, but after being open for 3 days, the flower has wilted and is about to drop

I still have at least 3 more buds and would like to save those!

I have 2 other phals and one miltonia within 30 ft. of my probpem phal and they are all doing fine.. Any help is greatly appreciated.

This post was edited by uranakak on Sun, Jun 8, 14 at 4:41

Comments (9)