Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
orchidnick

The beauty of an abundance of new leaves.

orchidnick
9 years ago

I know the object of the game is to see beautiful flowers but sometimes seeing a plethora of healthy, robust new leaves and /or roots can be just as pleasing. Pleurothallis tuckerheimii has been with me for quite a few years and is a sizable plant. About 1/2 year ago I grossly over potted it because I thought it was going to throw leaves out the bottom. Actually it has not done this but never the less it's in a 14" diameter basket, not in moss but in orchiata bark. The actual plant, at the time of potting, was 6" in diameter and has a 4" ring of free space around it

The norm is to put Pleuros in moss as they like to be real wet and to leave a much smaller ring of free space around the plant. I thought something this big would make a gigantic soggy ball of moisture so opted for the bark instead. Since it gets watered almost daily, I think it's wet enough. Since orchiata bark is reputed to last 5 years, I gave it the huge ring of free space to grow into over the next 5 to 10 years.

5 to 6 weeks ago it had a flush of 30 odd spikes, each with a dozen of purple flowers on it. Most are faded, the picture shows a couple still intact.

Nick

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner