o
temps for Aeranthes and Angraecum

Posted by flowell (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 5, 11 at 10:39

I have the following Aeranthes
dentiens
grandiflora
henricii
They were growing in my basement under lights with temps consistently in the 70F's.
All the info I find say they like hot -warm temps so I moved them outside. It is getting in the 90"s here and I am nervous this is too hot! I was wondering if anyone else is growing these and what temps thay are growing in.
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: temps for Aeranthes and Angraecum

I grow hot to warm plants but none of the specific ones you listed. They are heated to 60 degrees at night that is brought up to 70 in mid morning so that there is some temperature fluctuation. These are my lows.

I allow the temperature to rise in the greenhouse to 90 before cooling and bringing the humidity up to above 60%.

What is your humidity level? Orchids can take warmer temperatures if they are not too dry.

o

I grow Aeranthes Grandiose outside all summer. I don't know what zone you are in, so what I do might not be appropriate for your zone.

It is still indoors in a window until the nights warm up. Been cold (40's) at night so I'll wait. I will move it to a north-east exposure and leave it out until fall. It is spiking now. Doesn't seem to be bothered by the heat.

Photobucket

Hope this helps,
Jane

o

Hi Richard and Jane,
Thanks for the info. I think the humidity here in Indiana is on the low side normally. But lately has been above 50%. The temperatures are in the high 60's and low 70's at night but the day time temps have been up in the 90's. I moved these chids outside last weekend and they seem to be doing alright. I have a few Angraecum growing in the basement and they seem to be tolerant of 70F temps. However, they grow really slowly. I do not notice any undue stress yet but will keep an eye on them.
Thanks again

o

My Angs have been outside for 2 weeks and we've had night temps in the 40's. They are fine, I have them shaded but will move them into stronger light next week.

I would move your plants out of the basement and get them growing.

Jane

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here