Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gunde_gw

To Get Lady Slippers to Bloom

Gunde
12 years ago

I am new to the forum. Your help will be VERY APPRECIATED!

I live in Las Vegas and over the years have purchased many orchids from Trader Joe�s Market. The orchids are kept in a 78 degree F room during most of the year. Most shot up a spike and bloomed without the twenty-degree night-day temperature differential that is supposed to be required to trigger a new spike. After the blooms were finished, I cut the "spikes". All have been fed following the directions on the orchid food bottle. All bloomed again the next year EXCEPT the lady slipper orchids. We had a real spring in Las Vegas this year, so I put the slippers outside for several weeks to no avail. Still no spikes and no blooms. What am I doing wrong?

Comments (8)

• bob8_gw
    12 years ago

If you have good roots on the lady slippers (just gently pull them from the pot to check) then the normal answer would be the amount of light that they are recieiving. I would SLOWLY move them into brighter light a few feet at a time. I live in N.Y. so am not a tooned to your weather. Normally, many of us would try to get them outside in the warmer weather, but I don't think that would be appropriate for you heat.

Let me know how you make out when you check the roots. Many people tend to overwater paphs. I assume we are talking about paphs. and not phrags. that need to stay wet all of the time.

• jamcm
    12 years ago

I would also add that Lady Slippers are notoriously slow growers. And some only bloom every other year. Plus, some are cooler/lower light growers, while others like warmer temperatures/higher light. It might be helpful to know which lady slipper you have - was there a tag in the plant, or otherwise, are the leaves just green or mottled, and was there more than one flower?

Julie

• E W
    6 years ago

So they never responded but I have the same question. Mine was a mottled leaf with a single bloom. It's name is Chriptopher Follansbee. How do I get it to bloom? It's been two years.

• arthurm2015
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

The correct name is Memoria Christopher Follansbee. Culture varies according to the type of Paphiopedilum and seeing I have nil Paphs . I cannot say, but lookup culture for Maudiae type Paphiopedilums and Paph. sukhakulii and there might be some clues. The orchids mentioned feature in the pedigree of your plant.

• westoh Z6
    6 years ago

E W,

If it is adding growths but no blooms, I'd guess they need more light?

What are the growing conditions for the paphs? Not sure if you are the original poster or not?

Bob

• E W
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I'm not the original poster. They are in a south facing window. I have them in the corner so they don't get the brightest sun. Near the window they are starting to get cold in the evenings as the temp cools.

• westoh Z6
    6 years ago

I grow sukhakulii and I don't believe it needs a cool down to bloom. I'd still guess more light.

Are there new strong growths each year?

Bob

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting