Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Orchid flower stalk

Posted by fairviewfarm 4a (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 28, 10 at 11:37

I have a phaelenopsis orchid sending out a new flower stalk. I've been told that while the stalk is forming to not turn the plant as it disrupts the flower formation. I couldn't verify this information in my orchid book or on the web. What is your opinion or experience?

If I shouldn't turn it during formation, can I turn it once the individual flower buds are formed? The stalk has grown toward the light (window) but I'd like to turn it so that the flowers face into the room so I can see them better as they open.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Orchid flower stalk

JMO, i stake the spike as it grows but i don't turn it until it begins to bloom. I usually let it bloom one or two flowers in the original position and then i move them to some other part of the downstairs to enjoy the flowering. i grow them on windowsills, but place them in loads of other places. that's just me, others may have different experiences. good luck with your new obsession * big devilish grin*

o
RE: Orchid flower stalk

If you move the plant as the buds are forming, they will turn towards the light. Wait until they are opening, then place the plant where you'd like to see the flowers. And enjoy!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here