Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question for Arthur.

Posted by orchidnick z9Ca (orchidnick@yahoo.com) on
Sat, Jun 25, 11 at 11:48

I just traded for about 30 tubers of Pterostylis curta. They are firm, healthy, good sized tubers however some of them have already initiated with 1mm to 3mm sprouts. They have only been dormant for 2 month. Home for them has been Indianapolis which apparently has had a cold summer so they think it's already fall.

In Southern California we have a wonderful condition called 'June Gloom'. During the night a marine layer of low clouds rolls in and keeps our mornings cool until it burns off. This usually comes to an abrupt end in early July and then there is burning heat until as late as Nov/Dec. The days are already getting shorter but for us, summer has not even started yet.

If I encourage these tubers to continue sprouting, they will show leaves in our early summer and be way ahead of the curve. Should I place them in a shady spot outside and let them get used to local conditions, or put them in the cold greenhouse, let them think it's fall and let them continue sprouting?

Your suggestion will be appreciated, Nick

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question for Arthur.

Hi Nick, you have asked the wrong person, i have never attempted these

Pterostylis curta

So i referred your post to an expert who replied....
Arthur , he could put them in the crisper in the fridge for a couple of months or plant them in a shady spot in a mix incorporating some barely moist sphagnum moss. More important to keep the tubers cool, the leaves are more tolerant to summer heat (L.A. is the same latitude as Sydney) Most Ptst. love to be crowded,but only barely moist till the rosettes have appeared.

But then i thought maybe you could grow some or all of them in your cool house (but that doesn't get you over them problem of getting them in sync). Not sure how long from the first growth to flowering but it would be nice to see a few blooms.

These are probably the widest grown and easiest of all the Australian Native Terrestrials to grow. I looked up the local OS Database and most are exhibited
in August.
Sydney weather in August 2010...
Temps
Min Max
9.5 18.3 mean
6.4 15.0 lows
12.8 24.6 high.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nesbitt's notes

o
RE: Question for Arthur.

Thank you for the advice. I have read Nesbitt's comments before, very helpful.

What I will do is split the tubers I have, half will sit in complete shade under a tree and the north side of the house and receive next to no water until I see green. The other half will sit in the cold house and wait there for sprouting. I also have one tuber each of curta x nutans, obtusa and Ptero x furcillata sitting in the cold house waiting for the tooth fairy.

Hope some of them will do something.

Nick

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here