Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Poor Orchid!! :(

Posted by courtney_jay FL (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 30, 10 at 13:09

Hello, I bought this orchid at a show and it was absolutely gorgeous. A Cattleya hybrid I believe with large white flowers. But after the flowers died the plant began to look really bad. Despite the very sorry looking leaves, there IS a new green shoot working it's way up. I've posted a link to the pictures I took. If you have any suggestions for me, please help! I love this plant and I would like to save it! I don't really know if I need to replant or change the waterings or anything else. Please help!

http://s938.photobucket.com/albums/ad223/courtney_jay/Sad Orchid/

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Poor Orchid!! :(

Before we can to tell you whether to change anything, we need to know how you are currently growing it. What appears to be sunburned (blackened) leaves make me think it's outdoors and for a catt this time of year that is good. Pics are too small to see the new growth or the shape of the growing media. I'd probably not repot until the new growth starts putting out roots.

Cattleyas enjoy good strong light, but not lots of direct sunlight for most of them. The plant needs to almost totally dry out before giving it a thorough watering. You can place a wooden kabob skewer down into the media, pull it out & check for moisture. Try to replace it into the same spot, hopefully minimizing root damage.

In addition to light & moisture, the plant needs moving air. If you're growing indoors or in a GH, a fan nearby will take care of that need.

With new growth, there is hope for your plant. A close-up pic of the new growth would be helpful.

Good luck :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here