Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Orchid noob needs advice on my new orchid

Posted by Moosetrackz 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 5, 12 at 13:12

Hi everyone.

I've never been good at growing orchids. The first 3 house plants I got when I moved out were orchid that promptly died soon after I got them. Its all me I know. Most likely I killed them with over watering. Anyway that was more than a year ago and I've learned a lot and have a thriving garden but never really tried orchids again until recently. I have 2 phal orchids that are doing fine but have never rebloomed. Both grew new leaves though.

Anyway, so my real question is about a new orchid I got at a farmers market. Its huge and beautiful, for $7 I thought I'd give it a try even though I have no idea what kind of orchid it is or how to care for it.

I live in southern California and its been in the 75-80+ for temp, usually 75 or more inside. Its in a west facing window that receives bright light this time of year most of the day with a little direct sun from about 3 to 6 or 7. Its in a plastic is orchid pot I have not watered it yet. Got it about 3 days ago.

I would just like to know what kind of orchid it is and what kind of care it needs. Any advice would be very helpful. Thanks!

DSC03455

DSC03454

DSC03457

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Orchid noob needs advice on my new orchid

It is Colmanara Wildcat 'Green Valley' most probably. It is certainly a Wildcat and it looks just like my 'Green Valley'.

It is an Oncidium hybrid with very long lasting flowers. Water well then no water until the next time. Let it get dry but lot completely. Look up the 'pencil test' in the FAQ.

This is meant to be a house plant and does very well indoors.

o

What kind of pot is this? Does it have a lot of drainage? If not, switch to an orchid pot that does. In SOCAL that plant should do well outside, summer and winter. Under normal conditions water it once a week. Santa Anas are coming, when hot, water it every 3 days. Absolutely no direct sun. It's a nice plant, amazing that they can bring this to market for $7 and make money.

Nick

o

Its in a plastic orchid pot and is just placed in the bigger pot for looks and to stabilize it since its so tall. I thought the same thing about the price! They had all different kinds for really cheap. All huge and nothing over $10. I should have got 2 but Im not really good at orchids yet and wasn't sure about how well it would do. Thanks for the advice. I really like this plant and want it to do well. How often do these rebloom? Ive never been able to get my phals to rebloom before :(

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here