Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Severely Compacted Roots!

Posted by WNYorchid NY (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 26, 11 at 13:22

Hello,

A few months ago I attended an Orchid show and purchased a few of them. One is labeled dendrobium thyrsiflorum. I have done some reading up on this species but cannot figure out what to do next. I went to repot a "Love Passion" orchid only to find it full of bugs and mostly dead. I bought it from a grower at the show and didn't think I needed to worry. When I took it out of the pot I saw that it seemed there was too much medium stuffed in with it and no room for movement or breathing. I then went to check on the dendrobium thyrsiflorum and founds its roots so heavily compacted that they are growing flat (not round) and I cant loosen the roots from around the medium. They are stuck together! There are some rotting roots and I am not sure what my next move should be in order to save the plant. Help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Severely Compacted Roots!

Actually, having roots compacted is normal and even desired with some dendrobium species...in fact, some may not bloom if they are not root bound enough! Could you perhaps post some photos?

o
RE: Help! Severely Compacted Roots!

Like calvin orchidlover says, dendrobiums are notorious for liking tight shoes. They sometimes grow so many roots that there is no longer any medium visible. When I go to repot I don't even try to untangle the mass of roots, I just pot up to a slightly larger size pot. Notice I said slightly larger. Dens bloom better with tight pots.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here