Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to prevent winter bud blast

Posted by bumblebeez z7b Seneca SC (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 25, 11 at 13:41

My 3 phals all bloom in the winter when our heat indoors is erratic. Cold at night, then warmer during the day and we have a gas fireplace that we use that does raise the temperature in the house immediately.

So each year, I get tons of buds that fall off. Most of them. Depressing!!

I am keeping the plants in a back bedroom away from a window and away from the fireplace.

If I bought a large cloche or lantern (popular right now) to keep the orchids in, do you think that would work?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to prevent winter bud blast

When you say cold at night and warmer during the day what sort of temp readings are you getting?

o

At night it might be between 62 and 64 and during the day it varies but perhaps at times, 70. When we run the fireplace, it might get 75.

I can't really change the way we heat but I can cover the orchids, move them or just wait for the occasional second spring bloom.

Either way, I can't really enjoy them in the back bedroom.

o

Sometimes I blamed bud blast on humidity. I found that misting the air over the buds (not misting the buds directly) and letting it drift down on them helped. If not, I cut the flower spike to just above the highst bud and waited for secondary blooms which usually came after the heat was turned off.

o

Actually, i'm surprised that you have winter blooms. If you have them on an annual bloom cycle, they should initiate a new spike in late Autumn or winter and then bloom approx. 110 days later. This comment of course only relates to the pink or white standard hybrids.

In the past there have been comments about Gas fumes....?

o

I appreciate your replies. I will have to look up gas fumes too. I'll try the mister but I think I'm going to try a cloche too.

I do cut back the spikes after the first bloom and usually get to enjoy the second, small, round of blooms.
I keep them outside all summer and might get another bloom then too.

As far as bloom time, can I control that?
All three are purple or white hybrids. Nothing special but very healthy and pretty.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here