Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finally Got My New Phal!

Posted by CraziiiCarl 5b (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 6, 12 at 15:09

All,
First of all I would like to thank the people who helped me with my first orchid. Even though it died it really was a great learning experience!
Second, I wanted to share the pictures of my new Phal! At first I had a hard time deciding what orchid to get but I ended up going with "Green Apple" because it was a unusual color and the red inside the lip really complimented the light green. The company I got it from said they were going to trim the current spike before shipping but even though they did that they send the top two flowers for me to enjoy (picture number 2 below) and the nice green color is by no means displayed in it full glory by the picture. I was really surprised at how nice the plant was! For $20 dollars I thought I was going to get a big box store quality orchid but it has a really nice root system and 5 good size leaves! I let the pictures do the rest of the talking!
Thanks for all your help,
Carl
P.S. I read some were that green roots mean water levels are fine and you can tell its time to water when the turn silver/grey. Is this true?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finally Got My New Phal!

Plant looks in great shape, hopefully you will enjoy the blooms for many years to come.
I am an old grump about orchid names because i have to put up with the rubbish written on benching cards year after year but you would think an orchid nursery would get the names correct. No pure "green apple" registered by the RHS. Possibilities are.....
Doritaenopsis
KC. Green Apple
King Car Green Apple
Phalaenopsis
Ching Miao's Green Apple
I-Lan Green Apple
Jiuhbao Green Apple
Lyndon Evergreen Apple
Ming-Hsing Green Apple

o

Arthurm,
Thanks for the list of possibilities! I think that it is either Doritaenopsis King Car Green Apple or Phalaenopsis Jiuhbao Green Apple. I can't really narrow it down any further though because the flowers look near identical from the one or two photos I found of each of them and I have no idea how to tell the difference between a Phalaenopsis and a Doritaenopsis so if anyone know the difference speak up!
Thanks,
Carl

o

Yes that is true green roots are wet and silver ones are dry(normally this is the rule of thumb,though algae in your pot can fool you!).

Love the green flowers one of my favorites! So glad they sent you a clear pot, you can see what you're doing so much better. It looks like that is potted in moss, so remember, moss dries from the bottom up and don't water again til the moss if crispy on top! Observe how the pot looks and feels as it drys, this will teach you how to water correctly.
Ginnibug

o

Ginnibug,
I didn't know that the moss dries from the bottom up to thats good to know! I'll probably check the color of the roots and make sure the moss is crispy just to be double sure.
Thanks for the advice,
Carl

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here