Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
potting orchids

Posted by mommy115 9 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 10, 12 at 15:10

I have read some posts on repotting orchids (I have 2 phaleanopsis)That mention some kind of "net" under or within the roots. I can't find that referenced now. What is this "net", how do I position it correctly, and why does it help?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: potting orchids

I don't know what you read about using a net. Some people use packing peanuts to fill the bottom of a pot and put the peanuts in a net bag. I don't know if that's what you read.

Putting a net over drain holes keeps the media from washing out - maybe you read that? You can use netting in a wood basket to hold the media...

Sorry,
Jane

o

Thanks again Jane. I spent a lot of time on the internet today and think what I previously saw was concerning the nets used for semi hydroponics. I'm curious, Have you ever grown phals in a clear orchid pot? It sounds somewhat logical to me as it would be easy to tell when it needed watering. Have you, or anyone else reading this, had any luck with this? I'm also wondering if the "oxygen dual core orchid pots" would work better. I'm going to post a separate post on that question.

o

I use clear pots for a lot of orchids. I like to see whats going on too. I also use them for some of my smaller dirt-plants...same reasoning.

Jane

o

I made a lot of calls in my area today and stopped in some nurseries. Can't find the clear pots except on the internet. The S&H for the internet is ridiculous when you only need a couple of pots.

o

They are not necessary. You can use Chinese take-out containers or Zip-lock containers. Just cut a bunch of holes in them.

Jane

o

ty I think I will try something like that. First I'll see how they do with my current set up. You are so helpful!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here