Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vanilla chamissonis Outdoors in Southern California

Posted by epiphyte78 9b (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 26, 11 at 15:11

Vanilla chamissonis Outdoors in Southern California

For a while now I've been informally asking around to see if anybody is growing Vanilla outdoors here in Southern California. A couple people said they knew of somebody growing Vanilla outdoors...but never saw any concrete evidence...until yesterday.

Yesterday I finally visited a friend in a local orchid society who has been growing Vanilla chamissonis outdoors for several years now. He only lives 5 minutes from me and as you can see his Vanilla is growing on the side of his house. This is the third time that it's climbed this high. When he took it down to share a cutting we observed that it was actually in bud for the first time since he's had it.

Vanilla chamissonis is from Brazil and it's not the species used for flavoring. There are around 110 species of Vanilla that are widely distributed in the tropics. Vanillas are exceptional orchids because they are hemiepiphytes...they start on the ground and climb up trees just like many Philodendrons do.

How many other species of Vanilla can be grown outdoors year around here in Southern California?

Most likely this Vanilla chamissonis came from a cutting of a plant that Paul Grip collected many years ago from Brazil. The SBOE has this orchid available for sale.

Here is a link that might be useful: Orchid Growers in Southern California

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vanilla chamissonis Outdoors in Southern California

Sorry, cannot get excited over Vanilla orchids. But some lovely orchids photos in the link.

o

Is Vanilla commonly grown outdoors in NSW? If so...which species?

Glad you liked the photos in the link. Here are 17 specimen orchids blooming on trees...four of which are native to Australia.

o

I've only ever seen one Vanilla orchid, it was growing in a Phal. house and wandered here and there, hither and yon.
Great pictures of specimen plants in the link!

o

I'm surprised Vanilla isn't more commonly grown outdoors in NSW. If anybody in your society should ask about Vanilla you can let them know that Vanilla chamissonis grows fine in SoCal. Since NSW has a better climate it should grow fine there as well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here