Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Correct Name of Orchid Variety

Posted by velamina (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 30, 10 at 16:12

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and enjoy being here. I've gotten wonderful feedback so far and wonder if you can help me with this question. (I promised myself I wouldn't start collecting orchids until I nursed my first one back to health. Well, I can already see where this is going - addiction!).

I went and purchased a beautiful phal today (haha, I know its boring to you collectors), which I will consider my "first" real beginner orchid. I drove an hour to get to this place and it is a beautiful, huge orchid house. The problem is that:

a) I couldn't even tell you which one I purchased; I would have to call up and ask or find a picture as it seems they don't label.
b) It looks like you can't really request any by name. You would have to just see what she has (she has too many to scout them out for you).
c) The woman (owner) speaks with a very heavy accent, and gets frazzled very easily.

I called her after I returned home to ask her about a beautiful one that I almost bought and was very fragrant (not recommended for me yet). I think the name she gave me for the one that I REALLY wanted was "Oncidium Walt Willy Wonka". However, I'm not able to pull up anything on the internet.

Can this be the right name? I thought it was lovely and would like to research it. As always, I appreciate all your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE:Orchid Names

There is a register of orchid names held at Kew in England. Thousands and thousands of hybrid Names. There is no register of variety names to record the variation that occurs within each crossing as each seed grows and flowers.

There is an FAQ on "what does all this name stuff mean"

Tried Oncidium Walt on the RHS search ... no positive result
Tried Willy on the RHS Search....no positive result.

Sometimes people just make up names. One Novice Grower had all her Cymbidiums Labeled Cymbidium Barney Wallis. I said to her one day "how come you have got all these Cymbidium Barney Wallis plants". She said he was a guy that lived down the street who gave her a lot of Cymbidiums.

o
RE: Correct Name of Orchid Variety

Arhturm, thanks for the response. I know now that it will be difficult to research the one that I saw, unless I call her again (sigh).

If I stay on her good side, maybe she'll get inspired to name one after me ;D

o

I didn't think it was possible but I found it. It took me quite a while but I was determined. The correct name is odcdm. Wild Willie Wonka :)

http://www.theorchidworks.com/varieties/img/WB519-Onc.-Wild-Willie-%27Wonka%27.jpg

o

Orchidworks should be ashamed. I might believe

Odontocidium Wildcat ' Willie Wonka'
or
Colmanara Wildcat 'Willie Wonka'

Did you read the FAQ "what does all this name stuff mean"?

In any case a lovely orchid. Colmanara Wildcat was changed to Odontocidium Wildcat a couple of year ago. I know this stuff is a pain but names are important so that orchid growers can communicate.

o

I read some of the faq and there is a lot of useful information there. The only prayer I had really was trying to decipher what she communicated, and having some more familiarity with the plants. She could very well have said anything to me that began with an O. I will have to learn to speak French :)

Thanks for the much more accurate info; it's much easier to work with those names. I think my taste favors this type of orchid (odontocidium)....for now. If I have to be poetic, she is definitely not as "loud" or vane as phalaenopsis, but she will make you look twice :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here