Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
velamina

Correct Name of Orchid Variety

velamina
13 years ago

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and enjoy being here. I've gotten wonderful feedback so far and wonder if you can help me with this question. (I promised myself I wouldn't start collecting orchids until I nursed my first one back to health. Well, I can already see where this is going - addiction!).

I went and purchased a beautiful phal today (haha, I know its boring to you collectors), which I will consider my "first" real beginner orchid. I drove an hour to get to this place and it is a beautiful, huge orchid house. The problem is that:

a) I couldn't even tell you which one I purchased; I would have to call up and ask or find a picture as it seems they don't label.

b) It looks like you can't really request any by name. You would have to just see what she has (she has too many to scout them out for you).

c) The woman (owner) speaks with a very heavy accent, and gets frazzled very easily.

I called her after I returned home to ask her about a beautiful one that I almost bought and was very fragrant (not recommended for me yet). I think the name she gave me for the one that I REALLY wanted was "Oncidium Walt Willy Wonka". However, I'm not able to pull up anything on the internet.

Can this be the right name? I thought it was lovely and would like to research it. As always, I appreciate all your help.

Comments (5)