Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ngbehht

Help my Phalaenopsis schilleriana

Sharon Zone 6b
9 years ago

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help me here, my phal schill's leaf is turning red/purple and wilting. I got this orchid back in March and it has been doing wonderful.... until I repotted it into Phalaenopsis Monterey Gold Imperial Orchid Mix, which has the following in it:

AAA New Zealand Sphagnum Moss
Medium Orchiata Monterey Pine Bark
Hydroton
Sponge Rock
Medium Cork Chips

A week later, and one of the leaves is looking like it's dying. Are these orchids supposed to be in a bark mix? I read that they would do great in a sphag mix, but now, obviously I'm not so sure. The orchid sits in front of a window sill with lace curtains with other orchids that are doing fantastic.... so I don't understand.

Could it be shock? The mix was dampened prior to repotting and I have not watered since and the medium still feels a bit damp to the touch but I can tell it's drying out.

Any help is appreciated. I have an imperial bark mix I can put it in, if that's the problem. It receives indirect bright light and it's warm here, about 80 degrees indoors right now.

Comments (9)

• Sharon Zone 6b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Normal leaves...

• Sharon Zone 6b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And here's it's location, with a few other orchids... it's late in the afternoon.

• arthurm
    9 years ago

Why did you decide to repot when it was doing so well? What was in the discarded mix?
    Be aware that Phalaenopsis in general do not like to dry out too much between waterings and it is summer there....in other words you have to water at intervals appropriate to the mix and the current "weather" conditions.
    You might also need fine tuning re. conditions for this particular species.

• Sharon Zone 6b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I repotted it because it came in a teeny-tiny pot and the roots were too crowded in it.... maybe I should have waited :-(. The medium that it was in was bark based. I know it's a lot easier to go from bark to sphag, then from sphag to bark. Where it's only been a week, should I put it back into bark based? Will the leave come back or is it going to die and fall off.. once it's at this stage?

I do know that many have said schill's need a warmer spot than your 'typical' phal's... but it's location really can't get any brighter during the day without putting it in full sun, which I won't do.

Thanks for your reply.

• arthurm
    9 years ago

A couple of feet away from where I'm sitting a hybrid Phal. is about to bloom.....it has more roots outside the pot than in.
    The yellowing leaf will probably drop off. Does the new leaf look good? If so all will be well.
    Re. this sunlight business. My phals are growing a couple feet away from a North window. The sun is filtered by a matchstick blind at this time of year. Sorry do know the shade rating of a matchstick blind. Agree with you never put a Phal. outside. Even today (just past shortest day) the leaves will burn.

This post was edited by arthurm on Wed, Jun 25, 14 at 19:30

• Sharon Zone 6b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The window in the picture is a west window, that's why I have the sheer lace. I've got 6 more in South windows, but behind sheers and they're also doing great. I've got 3 more in our solarium that has floor to ceiling south-east windows and those are doing great too.

So... although I know the roots grow 'outside' the pots, when there so tight 'inside' the pot, that's when I like to repot. Plus, I think they sent it to me in the tiny pot maybe thinking I would repot it when I got it.

My question now is..., should I repot it back into bark? The new leaf, as well as the other leaf look good and feel nice and firm.

Thanks again!

• arthurm
    9 years ago

I would leave it alone because that mix looks good, just a matter of getting your watering intervals right. Sit back and observe progress of new leaf and see if new roots grow.

• Sharon Zone 6b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Okay, sounds like good advice, thanks.

• westoh Z6
    9 years ago

To me the leaf that is getting ready to die looks like normal phal leaf die back. It is a fairly continuous color with 'dimples' all over, usually a sign it is not something bad going on, just normal leaf die back. It looks pretty healthy, so I'd keep it where it is without repotting and I'd think it would be fine.

That said: If you could get those phals outside with an eastern exposure, you'll be amazed at how well they do with the humidity and temps. Ease them out if you go this route.

BTW: I'm a huge fan of the REPOTME mixes, especially this one...

Good luck,

Bob