Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cyc Jean E. Monnier - any hope?

Posted by whitecat8 z4 MN (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 6, 12 at 17:31

Last fall, I stopped watering this poor thing in mid-October, about 6 weeks early for Minnesota. For the first time, the new growth didn't appear at the bottom of last year's growth but at the top - perhaps a sign the plant was in trouble.

In the last 10 days or so, the roots on the new growth lost signs of life, and the bottom of last year's growth shriveled completely. During that time, I could see the sphag was still moist and didn't look more closely.

The JEM hasn't been repotted this year, so it's way overpotted. Could it help any to put it in a much smaller quantity of sphag and keep it barely damp? Stake last year's growth so it's vertical? Cut off that 2nd, older growth? Something else?

If you think there's a 1% chance of the plant making it, I'll give it a try.

Thanks much, WhiteCat8

At night, the CFLs make things look yellowish.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cyc Jean E. Monnier - any hope?

Did you try spritzing the roots on the keki? If the mother plant died, it is probably not providing any support to the baby.

Jane

o

Thanks Jane. Maybe simpler than I'm making it. WC

o

I have a favorite Dend which is dying. It produced 2 keikis which are growing well, but the canes they are attached to are beginning to dry out. I've been spritzing the roots of the keikis and they look very healthy and are growing well. I'm leaving them because I want them to get a good root system before detaching.

I mention spritzing because I've noticed a lot of improvement in growth since I started supplementing. Hopefully your keiki is still viable.

Good luck,
Jane

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here