Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
DI after RO

Posted by orchidnick z9Ca (orchidnick@yahoo.com) on
Fri, Jun 3, 11 at 17:40

I was at species meeting when one of the members casually mentioned he has a DI unit in line after the RO unit. The initial reaction was one of disbelief as it seem the ultimate in redundancy. Then 2 members spoke up who do the same thing, one of them a highly respected AOS judge who brings outstanding plants to these meetings.

On further discussion it was stated that the cost is minimal as he needs to get his unit recharged very rarely, 1 1/2 years or so on the average. The fully charged unit will absorb a certain amount of impurities before it needs to be recharged. If it is fed RO water it has very little work. On the flip side if after 1 1/2 years it ask for a recharge, it means is has absorbed a certain amount of impurities even though it was fed RO water. My ppm from the RO unit just reads less than 10, not 0.

The person who brought it up grows great Sophronitis coccinea, Dend cuthbersonii and other cloud forest plants. The AOS judge grows none of these, she is mostly into Laelias, Catts and other less sensitive plants. She simply does it because in her opinion it gives her the best possible water at minimal cost. I don't think anyone present, including myself, was sold on the idea, I was just wondering if anyone is doing this or even has heard of someone doing it.

Nick

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: DI after RO

I have an RO/DI unit from when I used to keep reef aquariums. The DI is important in that situation because reef invertebrates can be very sensitive to small amounts of copper, phosphorus, etc. I removed the DI when I took down my aquariums. My RO water runs about 4ppm TDS, and I believe that is plenty pure for any plant. I only use the RO water for my carnivorous plants, and for spraying down leaves to prevent mineral stains. The orchids get acidified tap water. If I grew any very sensitive orchids, they might get RO, but I think DI would just be overkill. Maybe it makes some people feel better, but IMO it's just an unnecessary expense.

o
RE: DI after RO

I used to have a reef tank and I know exactly what you are talking about. I also feel it's an unnecessary expense and bother, I just wanted to see if anyone pipes up who uses it for orchids.

Nick

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here