Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help asap going out of town! What about my orchids

Posted by rwood24 Z7 nc (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 25, 10 at 17:50

Okay Tom evening I'm going to visit my mom 4 hours away til Monday ( will be gone 72 hours). My concern is my orchids as I constantly mist which I won't beable todo this. I'm not to concerned about watering. But let me know if I should be. Lighting is a pain as I use half sunlight and half artificial. I'll need timers I assume. I've got a variety of all types, phal, paph, vanda, dendro, oncid, lycaste, bulb, catts, rene marques, b nodosas, I'm sure I forgot some. So I have them all growing in did parts of house. I plan to leave ac set about 72 auto. I have a neighbor that I could ask to help out but last week somebody stole my boys ps3 from his house and right now I trust nobody in the neighborhood. So any advice on how to leave successfully for 3 days and come back to orchids fine I have no money for humidifier at the moment. But I use tons of trays with water and rocks. My humidity is norm 50-55% I'm pretty sure it's gonna drop by the second. I need help I almost don't want to leave as 3 are in bud and I've never seen bloom. Any advice is much appreciated! Have a great weekend everyone.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help asap going out of town! What about my orchids

I don't see anything 'tender' on your list that can't be just left behind for 72 hours. Water them well, put them on the kitchen counter, and have a nice visit with mom. They don't need water or misting or strong light while you are gone for such a short time.

o

Same as sensitive tropical fish. Better off to leave them alone for 3 days than have someone do God knows what to them. I would just leave them and enjoy the trip, they'll be fine when you come back.

Nick

o

Don't worry. Orchids won't be hurt if they don't get misted for 3 days (at least the ones you listed). Just move them into a shady area. Enjoy your trip!

o

Orchid 123 is on the right track with "shady" as the plants won't dry out so much.

o

Just wanted to follow up on how my chids are and they are better then when I left my paph sanderianum ( prob spelled wrong) now has it's first spike since in my hands bout half in to 3/4 but i darn sure didn't see it when I left. Also my phals have bloomed full force all but one bud do you think me not misting for a couple days and watering motivated the plants to start new growth? Thanks again for all you insight!! I love this forum such great friendly folks
r

o
RE: Rooting Orchids

Someone told me that after an orchid finishes blooming I can lay it down on the ground and bury the long main stem after cutting slits at the joints and it will sprout roots like other woody plants do. I was told not to cut it off from the main plant. this is the way I root hydrangers, and gardenias.
Will this work?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here