Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lauraeli_

African violet fertilizer?

lauraeli_
9 years ago

Can I fertilize my phals every time i water using liquid african violet fertilizer diluted to the amount suggested for african violets?

I always have some made up for watering my AVs so it would be convenient.

Comments (9)

• arthurm
    9 years ago

Probably would be fine. Do you know what the NPK is and does the fertilizer contain trace elements?

• lauraeli_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It is 7-7-7

It also has boron, copper, iron, manganese, and zinc. Anything missing?

• arthurm
    9 years ago

Maybe Calcium. Who knows? If your African violets are thriving, you should be able to grow anything. Beasts of plants.
    I use a complete fertlizer in summer with a higher Nitrogen Number and (its winter here) now using Peters Excel Calmag Finisher 13-5-20+ 7(CaO) +2(MgO) +TE 1 gram per litre of water. I have a big mixed collection of orchids.
    See how the hocus pocus is confusing.
    And seeweed extract and fish emulsion whenever.
    Sorry, I'm slapdash, but in my opinion your growing conditions are much more important than magical fertilizers.

• lauraeli_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

As far as I can tell, I can grow anything.

African violets have been the easiest for me.

But Im new to orchids. I just wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything important.

• arthurm
    9 years ago

Have you tried Telipogon? Lol. What do you use on your other indoor plants?

• lauraeli_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No I havent tried Telipogon lol. Im sure a lot of my success comes from being sensible.

I just use regular miracle gro for my other plants. Sometimes they get leftover bloom booster. Most of my houseplants are not super picky as long as their other needs are met- light and water. They arent fertilized on a schedule. It is a 'hey I havent fertilized this one in a while' kind of thing.

But orchids are slow-growing, so if there is a problem with their care, they might not show it for a while.

• jbraun_gw
    9 years ago

Most fertilizers will do well for orchids. I've used varied brands in the past with good success. Just keep in mind to feed them for leaf growth, usually late winter, with a good N based fert. You can also use higher K during bloom period, usually Oct-Nov. If you watch for new root growth give it higher P for better growth. Or you can use your 7-7-7 year round.

You're aware by now that the roots of most epiphyte orchids require good drainage and a dry out period or nearly so. When and if you try other orchid varieties you may have to meet the specific needs of EACH different variety. That's the challenge.

Phal's are a good bridge from potted terresterial plants to other types of orchids.

Good Luck.

• lauraeli_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I also have a dendrobium :-) It is putting out a lot of new growth, but I repotted it into a new medium a week ago, so I have been watching it like a hawk. The repot may have accelerated the decline of the older growth (it was already yellowing), but other than that it seems to be doing alright. I just moved it outside to get sunlight. Since then it has been overcast. The weather here never cooperates...

• arthurm
    9 years ago

It is normal for the leaves on older canes to go yellow and drop off. The bare canes provide backup to the growing part of the plant, as long as the new growth continues to grow and new roots grow all will be well. Those bare canes are why someone on the forum said that hard-canes are not particularly beautiful.

Do not be in a hurry to cut off the bare canes because some clones will flower from them. Depend on the ancestry.

As for the weather no-one, even here in the sub-tropics are happy. Have a happy longest day of the year.

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer