Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
malathion and fungicide and fertilize at the same time

Posted by megan_at_setgoddess none (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 4, 11 at 18:53

hi all :)
i need some serious advice as my time has become super crunched and after tossing about 100 orchids 2 years ago i'm trying to hold onto the clan i still have.
i am fighting a serious mealy bug issue very shortly after almost a victorious fight with the scale. Two weeks ago I had to put all of the kids in large buckets and soak them overnight as i've been so swamped with work that, though i knew it was a bad idea, - it was more important that they got watered. and of course, one of them had a virus that spread.
So here I am with wanting to commit to a stinky malathion treatment but was wondering if after today's major watering - is it safe to do multiple treatments at the same time in the correct doses?
I was hoping to fill a massive barrel with the correct 1.25 tsp/gallon malathion and the equivalent gentle doses of fungicide and fertilizer per gallon and do all three at the same time.

Safe or not? again, they are well watered and will do it in cool temps.
and repeat in 10 days

Any feedback would be amazing

many thanks!!!!!
m

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: malathion and fungicide and fertilize at the same time

If you truly have a virus throughout your collection there is no cure. If you have a known virused plant and it is not very special, you should have tossed it out.

Forgetting about virus for a moment, to get mealy bugs do a 5-step approach. 1-alcohol with a small amount of dish soap in a sprayer. Remove and brown material from the plant. Spray the plants one at a time all over using lots of the spray. This will destroy flowers, but if it is as serious as you indicate, they need to be sacrificed.

2-Set a plain water spray bottle for a strong stream and wash ALL bug bodies away. Any crevices and leaf joints wash with water.

3-Spray the whole plant with Bayer Advanced Rose and Flower insect killer.

4-Start using Bayer All in one Rose and plant care as directed. This will keep bugs from coming back. I never see aphids or mealybugs. This is effective for scale also.

5-replace your ant stakes. They are the most likely source of mealybugs.

o

richard, thanks for your advice.
I am still wondering, though, if anyone can tell me if they think doing all 3 treatments at once is a bad idea?
megan

o

The All-in-One is all three, but you need to get the bug population down.

Multiple plants in the same water is not a good idea.

o

Richard said: Multiple plants in the same water is not a good idea.
I echo his sentiments - this is a stellar method of passing along all kinds of fungal, viral and insect problems throughout your entire collection.
If you must mix up a giant vat of solutions, better to pour it through and over each plant individually, letting the excess runoff into the lawn.
Regards - Nancy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here