Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
claritamaria

'Den-lettes'

claritamaria
16 years ago

Need some help with Dens

1). I admit it; I garbage picked 2 cut den stems about 8 months ago, stuck them in a pot to see what would happen. Kei Kei's happened on both stems. I don't have much experience with seedlings. Never had a kei kei either. The stem pictured below has run into a bit of potential trouble. The host stem is depleted and mushy from the bottom up to the arrow on the pic. The kei keis are still really tiny. Largest root is barely 1/2". The roots are beginning to crack. They are stalled.

Do I cut the kei keis loose and put them in a medium? If so, recommendations?

or

Cut the rotten part off the host put it back in the pot and let them remain until they develope more?

Noticed the larger kei kei's leaves are elongating or growing skinnier, if that makes sense. Should I be concerned? I have them in the best light I've got. (see below for conditions) The 3rd larger Den Kei kei is in the background of the 2nd pic. Largest root is almost 2". I am letting that one remain until the roots get bigger. The stem is healthy

{{gwi:177720}}

2) I've had this Den for a long time (D Burana Fancy "Lakeview Green") Drove it up when I moved from FL. Had environmental problems last summer and the plant suffered massively. Mold, rot, pollution etc. The remaining naked stem has put out 2 "den-lettes". 1 last fall and 1 this spring. They don't seem to be growing any taller. Not sure what to make of it? Its growing leaves but staying teenage size. ??? Just repotted to rock and pumice. It was in bark mix.

{{gwi:177722}}

Conditions:

In WSW window, no curtains, supplimental lighting: 6 100W cfls and 1, 4' ballast 14 hrs on. They get full sun from about 1:30 until sunset. The growing area is about 80 days and 60-65º night. Minimum 65% humidity, evenings higher.

I posted earlier about putting some of my plants outdoors in all day sun. Would Dens be good candidates?

Clara

Comments (7)

• turkeytaker
    16 years ago

I would cut the mushy part off of the stem and let the keikeis develop some more. They don't look to be mature enough to survive off of the cane, yet.

As for the smaller grownths, I've found that a plant that's suffered a lot puts out several small growths and eventually works up to large growths again. I'm facing the same probem with some of my dends that I fried over the summer. One of mine suffered a major bacterial infection and waited four years before putting out new growths of any sort.

Dends like sun, so you could probably throw them outside and they'd be happy as can be. You may want to slowly acclimate them, especialy since they've had some health issues.

Stacy

• jane__ny
    16 years ago

That happened to one of mine (Super Ise)a few years ago. Most of the keikis had tiny roots or none at all. The plant was dead. I removed the small growths and potted them in sphag keeping it moist. Most did not make it. I think I have two which are still alive. They eventually grew enough to send out a new growth. I think it took two years.

You don't really have a choice, pot them up and see what happens. Frankly, with so few roots, I don't think its worth the time or effort. Buy a new plant.

Jane

• ifraser25
    16 years ago

Those are great little keikis. You probably won't get them off the stem by hand yet, so use a sterilized ( by fire) knife to cut them off the stem. The stem won't help them as it's going to die anyway and will soon be full of bacteria. Put them in a small pot with some sphagnum moss. The stuff you scratch out of your lawn will NOT do. Sorry if you find this hard to get, but it's by far and away the best. A poor second is shredded blotting paper - mainly 'cos it has chemicals in it. Water with dilute fungicide and place the pot inside a transparent plastic bag. Keep in good light without direct sun and warm temp. Leave it there as long as you think fit. I'd give you better than evens.

• claritamaria
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all for the info. Nice to see you on this side Ifraser25! Thanks for the compliment. They do look surprisingly good for a forgotten experiment. Little green tips. Too cute. Goes to show you that ignoring orchids is the best thing to do. I forgot about these until I moved my collection for the summer. The 2nd cane with the single kei kei had a live eye and was growing roots at christmas. Went away for the holidays and had an orchid baby sitter. There went the roots ;-( but the kei kei hanging in strong and the cane is hard. No rot. That kei kei can come off the cane soon. Want to give it the max time.

You are funny IFraser25! Not hard to understnd at all, even in English. No I use Chilean Spag, not the lawn. LOL. I will spag and bag them. They are used to my maximum light but I suppose I can pull it back. I do have to question why there should be a reduction in light? I though little or sick plants should have the best light possible?

After I posted I took Stacey and Jane's advise and cut off the rotten part, There was more rot hiding further up right next to the 1st kei kei. so they have to come off and take their chances. They have been in full afternoon sun in the window plus cfls and tubes. This was just an experiment, but worth the learning. I won't get upset if they don't make it. (ok a little) They don't come from the Burana. They are NOIDS from the dust bin. Thought it would be interesting to see the entire growth process.

However Ms. Jane, I can't seem to part with the Burana Den-lette. You are so cruel, woman! :-)) I drove it up from FL... It was riding "shot gun" with me. We were sick together. What can I say? We have history. It's like the pathetic boyfriend that you can't seem to get rid of.

You are probably right, I should get a new one but I have the space so I'll keep it around for awhile. I doubt I will ever see flowers from it again in my life time. They were pretty. Dens are just not the best plants to grow indoors in z-5. In Florida I had no problems, they grew like weeds.

Why do Dens do this? produce den-lettes? I have had my share of sick and injured plants through the years but Dens are unique in their recovery.

I am off to operate! Wish me luck!

"Dr" Clara Maria

• highjack
    16 years ago

I take the small keikeis off my dens after saturating the stem area, make a twisting motion and it pulls right off. The excess moisture makes the keikei very pliable.

I place the keikei in a two inch pot with sphag, no bag, and keep it in the same light as the parent. It usually needs to be watered every third day since I let it totally dry out. Within six weeks, you should have roots 3-4" long and ready to be up potted or mounted. I just mounted three the other day that started out with roots less than 1/2" long.

Brooke

• claritamaria
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Brooke
    They came off fairly easily. 1 mini-root on each required the blade. Soaked them in Physan and rooting hormone, little ST. Put them in a tiny plastic container. Rock on the bottom spag on top. They are used to light. They have been taking direct afternoon sun on the window sill and supplimentals. Thanks for sharing, I have hope for them. They are too cute! Wish I could freeze one as is!

Clara

• jane__ny
    16 years ago

"Wish I could freeze one as is!"

You might as well. It will be a long time before it does anything. Remember - high light when it was attached to the mother plant. It was getting its moisture from there. Now its on its own. Doesn't have much in the way of roots. You might want to watch the intensity of the light.

Good luck,
    Jane