Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Phal question I need help!

Posted by alavoneluvhoya none (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 2, 12 at 19:28

A few of my phals have been acting up and I am not sure why hopefully someone can tell me why they are having a hard time. on the blooming spikes all of a sudden the top half of the spike with dry up, change a brown color and my blooms will die. This has happened to 3 of them and I am maintaing the same care for all of my phals. any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Phal question I need help!

Sounds like something in your growing conditions are causing this.
Too hot, too dry, air conditioning, etc.etc. Where are you you in the USA and what are your growing conditions, temps, pots, sunlight. potting mix, watering routine etc. etc.

o

I am in central texas. I have them in a west window on a table about 5 feet away from window. About 70s in my home not to exceed 75. I grow in bark mixed with shipping peanuts. my water routine is about every week with a feed every other watering half strength. the leaves stay a nice green color and have new growth. this is not happening to all of my orchids......i maintaing same care for most of my phals with the exception of a few that dry out faster.

o

I am in central texas. I have them in a west window on a table about 5 feet away from window. About 70s in my home not to exceed 75. I grow in bark mixed with shipping peanuts. my water routine is about every week with a feed every other watering half strength. the leaves stay a nice green color and have new growth. this is not happening to all of my orchids......i maintaing same care for most of my phals with the exception of a few that dry out faster.

o

How long have they been in bloom?
When my spikes are done (2-6 months for phals?) they usually brown from the top down and eventually die back.

Bob

o

these spikes are doing this when it holds up to 10 perfect blooms that show no sign of aging. i will usually loose the older blooms first and then so on when my blooms fall off thats when the spike turns brown. on these i never lost any blooms the spike just turned brown and all wrinkle dry appearance.

o

No help here...

Can you think of any other environmental change? A/C now on, home improvement project, painting, etc...

Good luck,

Bob

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here