Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dendrobium orchid - flowers gone - now what?

Posted by orchid_girl_07 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 9, 07 at 19:47

I received 3 dendrobium orchids for a house warming gift. They had lovely flowers on them and now have dropped off. What do I do now? With my Phalaenopsis, I know to cut back at the last node...but what do I do with these Dendrobium orchids? DO I cut the stem that the flowers were growing on? HELP!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dendrobium orchid - flowers gone - now what?

See if this site helps:

http://www.easyorchids.co.uk/site/content/view/18/41/

o

If the flowers were on a long spike, but it off when finished. It won't flower again.

o
RE: Dendrobium orchid - flowers gone now what?

sorry, meant 'cut.' I guess that's why they have a preview button.

o

So cut off the long spike where the flowers use to be? To where? As you can see I am clueless... I do have new canes and those will hopefully flower, right?

o

I like to cut the spike fairly short but leave enough so that I can see that the flowering occurred since one mark of good culture is that every new growth flowers.

Dendrobiums need quite a bit of light to grow well. To get it to flower again, you will need to have a growing area which will likely not be the same as the area where you had them to display.

o

Thank you! I will move them to a sunnier window and continue to water and fertilize...any other tips?

o

What type of Den do you have? Some (nobile types) flower along the length of the cane with flowers comming off all along it. Do NOT cut this type back.

Others bloom in a similar way to a phal with a spike comming out of the top of the cane. This spike carries all of the flowers well clear of the cane itself. This spike can be cut back within an inch or so of the cane when it has finished blooming.

o

If your plant has spikes similar to these, cut them down near the leaves of the cane.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

o

DONT cut the stem. Many will reflower, even if they have no leaves and by cutting into the living tisue you always risk introducing disease.. The only canes I remove on mine are those that are shriveled and dead. If your plant shows no sign of new stems growing from the base, keep it dry for a while then water when it starts to regrow, which should be soon.

o

I thought I was clear, cut the spikes (flowering stems) not the canes! My photo is showing the flowering spikes, cut them off when finished.

Jane

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here