Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Meiracyllium trinasutum

Posted by papillon1 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 17, 12 at 20:16

I've had this plant since March and it was doing well, got a new growth and is about to bloom. I recently put it outside for the summer. I have not changed my watering routine but the leaves are beginning to get shriveled. Do you think it is not getting enough water or too much? The vendor said it was kind of succulent & could miss a day without water. The leaves are kinds fleshy. (I water it every day)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Meiracyllium trinasutum

I have had it for over 10 years and cannot make it happy. Makes new leaves, looses old ones barely gaining ground. It blooms but it does not look like a happy plant. I tried it in the warm GH, same. I'm ready to throw in the towel, it just does not seem to like me no matter what I do. But it won't die either just keeps hanging around to irritate me.

Nick

o

Nick, I have both Meiracyllium species and after struggling similar to you, I realized these plants don't want ANY water at all. They hang, mounted on wood, in my GH and, except for an accidental misting or squirt with the hose while watering plants nearby, they don't get any water. Once I figured that out, they grew like weeds.

My GH is not particularly humid, running 50-60% on the average. Temps vary from a low of 55-60F in winter, to summer highs of 85F -- sometimes a rare climb to 90F.

In the past, when I would try to water them, whole sides of the plants would drop leaves and start to rot. Even today, if they get seriously wet, they will drop a few leaves. But since I stopped watering them, they have grown very well, bloomed very well.

Oh, and they are just a few feet from a fan.

o

Thanks so much CJ - I was wondering if maybe I was watering too much, but when I see shriveling leaves I think not enough water. I will try drought conditions and see how it goes.
Nick glad to know I'm not alone!

o

I'll give it a try. Thanks.
Nick

o

Hi guys I am looking for this plant right now does anyone know where can i get a hold of this species anywhere in the US? I been looking for a while but no luck. Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here