Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newbie Orchid Owner

Posted by rozzy BritishColumbia (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 26, 10 at 21:02

A friend of mine bought me an orchid, but it didn't come with any tag saying what kind it is. I have never had an orchid before. The blooms have finally all dropped off now, and I've read on a few websites that I should cut the spike off one inch from the base, which will promote really nice blooms the next time. But then some websites said that if you see a new growth on the original spike already, you can cut the spike off just above the new growth and let that grow into new a new spike. However, the flowers that come from that will not be as nice as the previous ones, the site said. So, I am wondering what I should do. I haven't cut anything yet. I will wait for someone's reply before I cut anything. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbie Orchid Owner

Some people will tell you to cut the spike off at the base, others will tell you to cut the spike back to a node. The choice is up to you.

To help with the decision, put cut spike in the search box at the top of the discussions page and read some of the past posts on this subject.

o

I am new to this as well, and what I gathered from the limited research that I've done is to let the orchid continue with its flowering season, and when you see new growth, so in this case cutting one inch above the first node. When it is completely done flowering, cut the spike down at the base to ready it for the following year (or next blooming season). When cutting at the base, it puts all of it energy towards the new blooming season.

I hope I understood this correctly, and I'll be checking the thread to see what other members are suggesting.

o

• Posted by rozzy Ontario (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 27, 10 at 0:55

I looked online at pictures of different kinds of orchids, and mine is a Phalaenopsis orchid, dark pink color. Thanks to those who posted a reply already.

o

i have tried both methods with success. the only draw back is that when encouraging branching you may end up with what i currently have, a lovely branch of blooms that erupted at a right angle to the original stem. *sigh* not as pretty but hey, why complain. lol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here