Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quicksilver_gw

I am SO sick of bugs!

quicksilver
13 years ago

I have 50ish orchids. I have a really difficult time with cattleyas due to never ending scale, and often a white cottony beasty. I'm about ready to give away my cattleyas. Before I do that I would appreciate your input as to the latest cutting edge techniques for killing bugs. Up to now I have been swabbing with alcohol, and spraying a solution of 50% Neem.

Comments (25)

• stitzelweller
    13 years ago

If you have access to an outdoor hose, I recommend using BAYER ADVANCED COMPLETE INSECT KILLER For Soil & Turf as directed as a Hose & Spray product.

I began using it late last summer. It has worked MIRACLES for me re: insect pests. No more bugs! I went throughout the entire winter w/o bugs (scale, especially!). I have imported a few new plants into my collection and it was obvious that a few new plants were carriers of insect pests. NO longer! The systemic effects are REAL!

--Stitz--

• terpguy
    13 years ago

Stitz beat me to the punch! Get a quality systemic containing imidacloprid. Oils and soaps aren't very effective and as an organic spray their primary purpose is to keep the pest populations in check, not erradicate them. Switch to a systemic like stitz recommended and you'll see instant results.

• xmpraedicta
    13 years ago

Interesting!! I didn't know there were systemic bug sprays. My collection is currently turning into a pill bug hotel...those little suckers are multiplying like it's the apocalypse. I know they're not terribly harmful, but I want them gone. I use Safers End All which works 'okay', but I have a sneaking suspicion the soapy residue is not conducive to root growth, especially on delicate roots of mounted plants which get the full bang when I try to do pest control.

Are there any negative side effects on growth?

• highjack
    13 years ago

On your trip to pick up the Bayer product, look for the Bayer which contains imacloprid and beta-cyflurin. The second insecticide is a better contact killer and the imacloprid is the systemic. It will be less expensive to buy it undiluted and make it yourself over the hand spray type bottle.

Water your plants, pour or spray the foliage thoroughly and make sure you drench the media too. Repeat the process a week later. You should be done with the beasts by then.

Calvin submerge your pots in water, the pill bugs will abandon the pots. It might take a couple of times, but you should be able to eliminate them IF the area you have them this summer doesn't have them. Soap can be caustic.

Brooke

• stitzelweller
    13 years ago

Calvin, the "pill bugs" aren't insects, are they? You might need something else to KILL them.

"Are there any negative side effects on growth?"

C'mon, Calvin! You're talkin' to Brooke, terpguy and Stitz. Would we recommend a product which WE USE if it's inhibiting the growth of our plants or killing 'em?

Brooke, the product that I described last night includes imidacloprid and beta-cyflurin. Thank you for your endorsement. Can I purchase BAYER common stock in the USA? :)

ALSO, the product that I described contains a higher concentraion of the active ingredients than other BAYER products. It has the highest concentration of the "active" ingredients available in my marketing area...

I prefer to use a sledgehammer rather than to tap..tap...tap....

--Stitz--

• cjwatson
    13 years ago

Absolutely go with Bayer. However, Bayer makes a line of bug killers which include fertilizer -- said fertilizer is way in excess of what orchids want or need. Buy any of the Bayer bug killers that do NOT say "FEED"

• stitzelweller
    13 years ago

cjwatson is on the right track. The BAYER product that I use and described does NOT contain fertilizer. I prefer to have complete control of the fertilizers that I use on my plants.

--Stitz--

• highjack
    13 years ago

It is as Stitz said, the percentages of the imacloprid is higher in the two insecticide product than is in the Bayer 3n1 or all-n-one.

The All n One also contains a systemic fungicide but here again, I buy the concentrate fungicide and make my own. The directions on the concentrate are on the bottle.

I don't need the fertilizer nor do I want to treat with a fungicide if I don't have a fungal problem.

Brooke

• stitzelweller
    13 years ago

"...nor do I want to treat with a fungicide if I don't have a fungal problem."

AMEN to that thought! The prophylactic use of fungicides is asking for trouble! It's far better to have the chemicals on hand, in reserve ready for use whenever the need arises, rather than to use them indiscriminately!

--Stitz--

• quicksilver
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This site, and you people in particular are SUPERAWESOME!!!

• stitzelweller
    13 years ago

quicksilver, thank you for your support!!

--Stitz--

• orchid126
    13 years ago

I vote for Bayer also. If you can't get the products mentioned above, you can also use Bayer Advanced Rose and Flower Spray, which is premixed and comes in a spray bottle. Even though it's a systemic, use it once every seven days, three times.

This stuff really works and eliminates the dragging out of time after time after time of the other products. Use it and your done. Period. No more insects.

• quicksilver
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I picked up the BAYER ADVANCED COMPLETE INSECT KILLER For Soil & Turf a couple of days ago and applied it today. I had a big smile on my face as I sprayed my problem plants. On a related note I picked up potting medium at A+P Orchids, (a local vendor) and I was told A+P uses the Bayer product too. Thanks again for your help.

• susanblooms1
    13 years ago

I've been using this product (BAYER ADVANCED COMPLETE INSECT KILLER For Soil & Turf as directed as a Hose & Spray product) since it first came out (at least 3 summers now) at the direction of Ackers Orchids. I haven't had a big issue since I first used it. It's awesome!

• stitzelweller
    13 years ago

susan, my only regret is that I didn't use this BAYER product this morning, as scheduled. after my plants dry out more (hopefully by tomorrow or the next morning), they will get another dose!

I am REALLY disappointed :) in it.... I found a lousy, single young slug in one of my bromeliads! gee willikers! doesn't this BAYER product cure ever'thang??

as you wrote, this product is AWESOME!

--Stitz--

• susanblooms1
    13 years ago

Stitz, interestingly, the only bug it isn't recommended for is spider mites. But it completely annialated the spider mites I had on one of my plants, when I first bought the product. I use this product once in the Spring and once in the Fall and I haven't had a single bug since. I couldn't ask for anything better!

• bullsie
    13 years ago

I am a Catt lover and grower and those two critters seem to be automatic when it comes to this species of orchid.

I don't have the facilities to spray so what I purchased was a container of Merit 75. Its expensive and a powder. I followed directions (1/8th teaspoon to a gallon of water) and drenched my plants. I watered them with the product. One application a week for four weeks (by week two the scale look like snow - and you don't realize you have that much on a plant either!), but it does take a four week treatment for the cottony buggers (mealys) as they seem to be on the move and till they settle for a meal are unaffected.

It was quite simple and even though I did quite a number of orchids I have enough Merit left for a good many years. Its paid for itself - and yes, I've used the Bayer spray. Just not the best for my situation.

• stitzelweller
    13 years ago

bullsie,
    I am happy to learn that you have had success with the BAYER imidacloprid product. My only regret is that I don't (yet!) own common stock in BAYER, the company holding the patent rights! Thanks for your testimonial! :)

--Stitz--

• cjwatson
    13 years ago

Bayer is meant to be used as a drench.

• andrew6484
    13 years ago

When you say that Bayer is meant to be used as a drench, you mean leaves too? I'm a little worried about Ludesias leaves and any chemicals.
    Thanks CJ

• cjwatson
    13 years ago

You can use it on leaves and flowers, but its main benefits come from the roots soaking it up for a systemic. I spray whole plants with it if they are especially buggy, but I make sure to drench the soil as well.

Works great on staghorn ferns, magnolia trees and houseplants as well.

• stitzelweller
    13 years ago

"Works great on staghorn ferns, magnolia trees and houseplants as well.

That includes my bromeliads (mainly Vrieseas and Billbergias). The Vrieseas are especially sensitive to "foreign" chemicals however, the imidacloprid products have been well tolerated, to date! :)

--Stitz--

• bullsie
    13 years ago

I've used it on my epiphyllum as well as a few succulents and cacti with very good results. Especially the epiphyllum which can be very sensitive. Takes a bit longer with some succulents that hold water in stems before allowing the leaves fluid. But eventually, it gets there too.

• dottyinduncan
    13 years ago

I don't believe we can get ANY systemic bug killers in Canada. Has anyone sneaked any across the border?

• terri_andrews
    13 years ago

I HATE pests and bugs on my orchids. I have some nice suggestions for you in my 10 day email orchid care guide on my website, but I think the solution will not come until day 10...eek

If you end up subscribing just shoot me an email support@orchid911.com and I will send you the PEST Module (4 Simple Steps to Keeping Your Garden Pest Free)ASAP... :)

-Terri A.

Here is a link that might be useful: Orchid911