Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Attaching orchids to trees

Posted by emily_phuket Thailand (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 9, 08 at 1:07

Hi, I'm in Thailand and I want to attach orchids to big trees. The common practice here is to put the orchids in chunks of Coconut husk which is then wired to the tree trunk. Eventually, as the orchid roots grow on the tree the coconut husk can be removed.
I'm looking for a natural looking alternative to using coconut. Sphagnum moss is available from Bangkok but it is very expensive and I will need a lot.
Has anyone got any ideas of what I can use?

Thanks

Emily

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Attaching orchids to trees

Hi Emily,

A hammer and nails (1 to 1 1/2") will do for vandas. No need for any medium at all.

tropical

o

Provided that you have the right sort of tree, you can tie the orchid on with fishing line or similar. You do not need spag. or similar in a warm humid climate.

Biggest problem is finding a tree where the bark makes the orchid happy and the canopy is not too dense.

o

There are four photos in the link of mostly Phalaenopsis growing in Vietnam.

I can only dream .

But note the Clay orchid pots and the fairly unobtrusive hanging method.

Click on the Photos for a larger view.

Here is a link that might be useful: Orchids growing in Vietnam

o

I'd be inclined to use something more flexible than fishing line, such as nylon pantyhose. For palms it won't be a problem but you risk ring barking the tree as it grows if you use an inflexible tie.

o

I'm attaching them to the trunks of some big existing trees (30m), big Rain trees (Albixia samam) Millingtonias, Tabebuia Rosea. It won't look natural stuck to the trunks I know but I want orchids in the garden.
Sunlight shouldn't be a problem but I don't know about the tree-orchid compatibility!
Thanks for the advice. Very useful.

Emily

o

Emily, I use a lot of jute to mount orchids. By the time the jute rots away the orchid is well rooted to the mount/tree in most cases. I also use a lot of the natural mosses and lichens found in my area to hold a bit of moisture to the roots as they establish. Phal type dens do really well mounted to smooth barked palms. The roots ramble around and are a glorious sight all by themselves. I have found that phals like a rough barked tree to grow on.
Good LUCK!! I'd love to see pictures!!
Pat.....

o

Use thin 100% cotton twine. About the time the orchids are rooted in, the twine has rotted away. You do not want to use any type of tie that will remain to snag birds or other wildlife, like wire or fishing line.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here