Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peacelilysam

Orchid newbie. Any help?

PeaceLilySam
9 years ago

So I want an orchid terrarium. My choices are a 10 gallon, 20, or 100 gallon fish tank. It will be 8 ft. from a NE facing window. I can also add sheer curtains or blinds if need be. What types of orchids would do well here? What do I plant them in? What should be in the terrarium? Do I plant in the terrarium or leave in pots? Will they need more light, or small fans? Also would a mount live in it and what type? And finally what do I do with tubers? What are tubers? Thank you.

Comments (7)

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

Where do you live? You need to provide at least the zone you are growing in.

I don't think Terrariums work for orchids. I would never recommend growing in one. Other plants work better.

If you are determined, you would need a small fan inside the enclosure to provide air circulation or the plants will rot.

Orchids grow attached to trees or rocks and need good air circulation around their exposed roots. They do not grow in dirt.

Maybe try African Violets or plants more suited for terrarium growing.

Jane

• arthurm
    9 years ago

I'm sort of with Jane, difficult enough to grow orchids without getting into added complexity.
    There is a recent thread here on page 2 with pics of a nice setup in the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: recent thread with info.

• garyfla_gw
    9 years ago

hi
    I would sort of agree witgh the others BUT there are dozens of types of orchids that flourish in terrariums The problem is that they are not the usual kinds of orchids you find in local shops.. i f you have no orchid or terrarium experience would suggest the dozens of other easier ,cheaper and far less delicate types of plants
    The easiest types of terrariums are warm humid types so choose plants accordingly Obviously the larger the terrarium the more choices as well as setups
    Do you intend to keep animals, insects?? What types of features and general layout.?? will it be aquatic semi. epiphytic??
    The runaway most difficult to manage are "desert, or seasonal " but can be done but requires an entirely different approach.. the best way to decide is choose the type of plant ,animal and design the whole thing around their needs ?? good luck they are always an adventure !!! gary

• westoh Z6
    9 years ago

8 feet from a NE window isn't enough light for most orchids.

If you are going to do it, start small then the expense won't be as high if you decide it isn't worth the hassle (been there, done that with a 55 gal). You'll need lights and a fan for air movement. Leave the 'kids in their original pots. Mounts do OK, you will need to mist them at least 1x day.

Good luck,

Bob

• shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
    9 years ago

I bought some cork for the purpose of mounting orchids from an internet seller. This company is in the business of reptiles and the cork is used for habitat and mounting orchids in terrariums. So apparently it is being done. All I can add...

• garyfla_gw
    9 years ago

Hi
    If anyone is interested there are entire web sites dedicated to terrariums I suppose you're not to mention other forums ?? One in particular I can't resist "Dutch vivariums" they turned it into an art form lol Though you might argue that they passed terrariums into greenhouses lol For me the runaway most difficult way to grow ANY plant
    is in the house ,Heck I've killed Pothos lol gary

• westoh Z6
    9 years ago

There's actually a link at the top of the GardenWeb/Orchids forum for Terrariums also.

Bob

Here is a link that might be useful: Terrariums

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz