Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ron_tacoma

orders from Thailand

ron_tacoma
13 years ago

I have taken notice that there are a few vendors on Ebay from Thailand. Most of them are being offered as opening bids of $0.99. I realize that these are only plugs. At $0.99 they cann't be anything else. But they are charging $10.00 shipping. And $5.00 for each additional item. They are usually species there are a few hybrids but mostly species.

Has anyone ordered any of these plants and what shape are they when they arrive.

Comments (28)

• stitzelweller
    13 years ago

Something to consider - will these plants enter the USA legally?

--Stitz--

• richardol
    13 years ago

I was burned by one. I bought before realizing the legal status. He was not declaring it, writing "gift" on the box. The plant never arrived and the vendor is no longer selling on eBay.

I didn't read the listing well enough before making my bid. I am not going to ever buy direct shipped again.

• cjwatson
    13 years ago

No, they are not coming in legally since the buyers themselves don't have a US govt import permit (required), let alone the sellers have their legal CITES documents, etc.

The one thing you don't want to do is get on our govt's sh*t list. Someday you may want to get an import permit to bring in orchids from legitimate foreign dealers (like Malala), and find you are denied solely because of this one illegal purchase.

• stitzelweller
    13 years ago

In addition to what cjwatson wrote, there is also the possibility of getting caught up in someone else's illegal "scheme". The US Fish & Wildlife Service gets involved in those which make it through the USDA checkpoints at the Ports of Entry. The outcomes are, at the least, very expensive for those on the sh*t end. Litigation costs big buckaroo$, partner!

How do I know about this stuff? I've had an import permit for 30 years and I intend to continue for at least another 30 years!!

--Stitz--

• orchidnick
    13 years ago

I have been looking at them. The 0.99 opening bid is just a come-on. I doubt that you will actually get the plant at that price. The ones have been looking at charge low but reasonable prices.

There have been some species offered that are hard to find here. I have been tempted to give them a try but was hoping to hear from someone who has successfully bought from them. The fact that the same names keep popping up week after week suggests that their business is thriving, they would not be there otherwise. If the parcel is opened at the border, it will be destroyed if proper paper work is not included. Most are not opened and you should get your plants after 2 weeks or so.

Do they arrive legally? Thar's up to you. An import permit is free and easy to obtain. Phytosanitary is cheap in Thailand, $20 is the quote from one of the vendors. So for and extra $20 you can bring them in legally.

Nick

• cjwatson
    13 years ago

You also need a CITES export permit for species from whichever country the plant is coming from. How much are they charging for that?

The usual documentation required for importing species from other countries costs about $75 total. The US import permit is free for individuals.

• ron_tacoma
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks gang for the feed back. I do have an import license never been used, but I got one. Our Society was going to place an order to Thailand. So I went out and got one. Then when they found out I wanted the members to pay up front. They backed down. I just might have to place a bid to see what happens. I will let you know. I took notice that some orchids whose listing expired. Were placed back on auction after a few days. But to pay $10 postage for 99 cent item does not set well with me

• orchidnick
    13 years ago

Cost vary from country to country. Australia cost me $175 for both Cites and Phytosanitary. I almost imported from South Africa, total cost was going to be $20. One vendor from Thailand quotes $50, another $20, another is noncommittal.

Nick

• cjwatson
    13 years ago

Which company in S. Africa was that, Nick? I might be interested in giving them a shot.

I mostly deal with South America.

• orchidnick
    13 years ago

I don't remember, it was several years ago and I was mostly interested in succulents but was looking at their Disas which were not inspiring.

Nick

• cjwatson
    13 years ago

I gave up on Disas after two tries. I was hoping for more Angs ... (sigh).

• sambac
    13 years ago

I have ordered different things from overseas, some electronic parts, silk stuff and some toys too(all thru ebay); After some encouragement from ny friend in UK, I did get a paraphal and kingidium from a Thai seller last year- no problem. He does not ship to US anymore. Some of them have horrendous feedback. For the most part I get my fix at Redlands, so I really don't want to order anymore from these guys- leave alone the legality of it.

• ron_tacoma
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Several years ago the one group I was with. Placed and order to Australia. Plants were fine but the added on costs were terrible we never ordered from them again.
    We had one club member who was from South Africa and he raised Disas (beautiful orchids and colors wow). He sells under the name Wally Orcids. He lived here in Washington and has sinced moved to Oregon. I went out to his house to see how he was raising Disas. Apparently they need pure water. Wally had these two huge storage tanks 500 plus gallons each under his deck.. He would collect rain water from his roof and his neighbors roof. He had his orcids on these wheeled carts and would run them outsise everyday even in winter. Then bring them in at night. He is still selling but that is too much maintenance for me I like orchids but not that much.

• orchidnick
    13 years ago

I put some fat in the fire over the weekend. I ordered a couple of plants each from 2 of these vendors. Something I have been meaning to do for a long time, just needed a little push. Nice species. Bids started at pennies but by the time they closed, they were up in the $5 to $7 range. Low prices but not 99 cents! Shipping is surprisingly cheap.

Now it remains to be seen what happens. I'll let you know.

Nick

• ron_tacoma
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I did too Nick!!!! I won one for 99 cents. the other two I was outbid at $1.29, the other for $1.60. Maybe we were bidding against each other. We will see what happens next.

• orchidnick
    13 years ago

I don't know what you are talking about, I know nothing, I see nothing, I hear nothing! The plants will be shipped to my daughter's place, let's see if they get there.

Nick

• orchidnick
    13 years ago

Just won another one for 1.04, this is fun.

Nick

• ron_tacoma
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I would have been OK if I stayed with Thailand. But you know how Ebay is . This looks good and that looks good. Now I got 3 different orders coming in from 3 different vendors $35 to $65 range, When those divorce packages start coming I am going to be in TROUBLE.

• orchidnick
    13 years ago

Divorce packages! Great way of putting it. SBOE has a fair coming up and their most popular trick is the $7.50 table. They will offer small divisions of about 50 to 75 plants for $7.50 each. This smorgasbord is served up 3 times a year and is very popular. When I was happily married and had to make some kind of accounting of my orchid expenditures, I would bring home plants that I paid a good chunk of money for and guess what, they all came from the $7.50 table. My x-wife was amazed how SBOE could sell such big beautiful plants for $7.50.

You need to make some arrangement to justify these 'divorce packages'. The answer is right here in the Thailand thread: 'They were all $0.99 plants from Thailand'. There you go, problem solved.

Nick

• rwood24
    13 years ago

Get an import permit and purchase from a reliable source you people are crazy I hope customs gets your package these plants are prob taken from wild! So they won't grow well in your conditions anyway it's illegal the infectious things over seas that you will bringing to the great USA it frightens me and should u you could get your other plants sick or even daughter I highly doubt the seller has permit to export. All this to save a couple bucks it seems crazy it's your life not mine tho I do hope they never arrive I hardly trust anyone on eBay especially some random seller in Thailand that sounds sketchy enough. I have tons of legit sources to get you a safe healthy plant in my state from a reliable source with all permits you should get one. Also btw shipping takes forever and plants will be dead or in great shock. Wish you had listened to the first few senseable responses when are county gets infected with lord knows what I'll know who caused it Bad luck to you
    my friend

• orchidnick
    13 years ago

Most Phaelies sold at the big box stores come from oriental super growers. Many are virused and all have been inspected and passed through. I have an import permit and if these test plants are OK will mail it to the vendor for future purchases. Inspection helps but does not guarantee trouble free plants. I omported from Australia once, that was a nightmare.

Nick

• stitzelweller
    13 years ago

George Norris used to brag about his exploits on the internet. The USF&WS made his (and wife's) life miserable.

--Stitz--

• rwood24
    13 years ago

I'm justing saying it's not worth it I agree with everything I've readvon these forums that stitz has posted the truth

• xmpraedicta
    13 years ago

Oooh Stitz! You have an admirer!

• stitzelweller
    13 years ago

Calvin,
    Please, don't cheapen our forum.

--Stitz--

• orchidnick
    13 years ago

Stitz, I have to agree with you.

Nick

• jowben1
    13 years ago

I tried it once, (cheap). After 3 weeks, I got a dried up dead Gigantium in an envelope. I won't do it again,(even though they show pretty bloom photos).

• ron_tacoma
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I got my 99 cent orchid in the mail last week (US Mail) It was a nice healthy plant. I would say it might just be a year out of a community pot. I was pleased with it. The price of the postage was not pleasing. I will try it again after my wife gets over those 3 divorce packages that just came in the day after I received the Thailand package.