Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
shagnum moss

Posted by garyfla 10 Florida (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 4:09

hi
has anyone heard of getting a respitory disease handling this media?? has come up several times on other forums but could find no reference to it?? Suppoedly there were several fatal cases?? Could not not find a mention on CDC site?? . I've handled it for well over 40 years and I think I'm still alive lol Since it is so commonly used in orchids thought this a good place to ask Thanks gary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: shagnum moss

I've heard many years ago of sphagnum moss being a carrier of a fungus or bacteria that can get into the body from scratches and cuts on the skin.It gets into the lymph system and cause infection.Gloves should be worn when dealing with sphagnum because of this.There is usually a warning written on some packages of sphagnum moss.

Allymarie

o

Gary, my experience is the same as yours, unless we're both dead and haven't realised it. I read somewhere that it had antibiotic properties which is why I use it to sprout palm seeds. As you know, they can take a very long time to sprout and the sphagnum doesn't go mouldy in the meantime. My current pack of sphagnum has this cautionary warning on it;

"Sphagnum Moss is a natural product and may contain prickles. Be careful when handling."

o

Heard the same. I rarely wear gloves but do try not to breathe in the dust from sphag or perlite. I've yet to suffer the consequences.

Jane

o

Hi
Interesting that the fatal story only comes up in Bonsai forum i have always used sphag extensively for that purpose and not so much for orchids . have heard the story from 3 different sources. Only reference I could find on the CDC site is " Sporotricosis " often called "Rose keepers disease" as the bacteria MUST get under the skin to become infectious,rarely infects the lungs but there have been fatalities but death was attributed to secondary infections ,compronised immune system , pneumonia. tuberculosis couldn't find a single death EVER from sporotrichosis Even under the catagory of "occupational disease"
Cautions were limited to "Gloves and avoid breathing dust" Odd that so many people know it's dangerous yet the CDC does not ?? lol Oh well , can't argue with "urban knowledge ?? lol Thanks gary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here