Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
keiki or new limb?

Posted by Jetson15 none (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 5:59

My Phal, which has been in bloom since March, has just started losing it's flowers. Just below the first flower to fall, I noticed a small new growth. Does this look like a keiki or is it trying to branch for more flowers?

In either case, should I let it continue? It will probably be a month or so till the rest of the flowers on this spike fall.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: keiki or new limb?

I'd guess it is getting ready to branch. Doesn't really look like a keiki, but pretty early on.

FYI: It's not unusual for these to abort before doing too much. Don't beat yourself up if that ends up being the case.

Bob

o

I have one phal about 8 years old now and it always has several of these on the spikes each year. Rarely do they do anything for me. Depending on your location, but this time of year I'd cut that spike and focus on root and leaf growth.

Good luck

o

Thanks

It's already started new leaves and some new monster roots, but I've been waiting for the flowers to drop before I repot. I will stay with that plan unless I see this really take off, and then I'll ask again.

Alan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here