Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Temperature differential

Posted by bea2014 9a FL (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 6, 14 at 8:01

I need advice about length of time my phals need the 10-15 degree temperature drop at night to induce blooming. I bought a small window A/C unit ($119 at Lowes) for my orchid room because here in Florida without it I can't give them that differential. According to the AOS culture sheet they need it for several weeks in the fall. But how long is that? If I have to use the A/C year round I will but if I only need to have it on say August through September it would help with the electric bill.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Temperature differential

Where do you live? In the fall you will get the temp drop. It is not the season for that now. An AC will take away the important humidity. I'd say not to worry about the temperature. Focus on the other requirements. Like light, water, fertilizer, air movement, and pests. Which you have on the AOS culture sheet.

o

• Posted by arthurm Sydney, NSW AUST (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 6, 14 at 16:13

Bea, this temperature drop stuff is confusing. The link is to an old, long FAQ that may help.

Here is a link that might be useful: FAQ on getting Phalaenopsis to bloom

o

Can you put the plant outside? I can flower Phals in Florida as the night temps drop in winter. If not, keep the plant in the AC room without the AC during the summer. Phals like warm and humidity. That room should be humid if you don't run the AC.

Jane

o

Dahhh!!! i didnt even think about the AC lowering the humidity. My orchid / fern room stays at 77 degrees and 55-70% humidity. I expect mold to start growing on the walls one of these days. I live by Jax and temps are in the mid-niteties daytime and seventies night. I just have to figure out some sort of enclosure to put them in outside so the raccoons and armadillos etc cant get to them while they're rooting around.

So I'm taking the A/C back. Luckily we didnt unpack it. Thsnks for all your help.

o

Good going! Stick them outside...

Jane

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here